lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #41
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: When will my DPI Gen IV Maintenance Kick in?

Did you check your dash meter against a reliable DVM? Just curious.
dundeebarnbuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #42
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

no, I thought about that too. It went down as low as 49.6 (according to dash meter) before I triggered it manually. Seeing as everything is disconnected now I'll have to use my trusty DVM to check. When I first put the pack in both the meter and the DVM were within a point of each other. Maybe I'll give it another go and see what happens...
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #43
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I am not sure of the rationale for waiting for your battery pack to drop to 80% before recharging. I would suggest that if you drop 0.5 volts below your stabilized after charge voltage (for me that is 52.2 volts), that represents a 10% drop in state of charge, and I would be recharging at that time.

The higher you keep your battery pack state of charge, the less chance of battery sulfation.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 PM   #44
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I am not sure of the rationale for waiting for your battery pack to drop to 80% before recharging. I would suggest that if you drop 0.5 volts below your stabilized after charge voltage (for me that is 52.2 volts), that represents a 10% drop in state of charge, and I would be recharging at that time.

The higher you keep your battery pack state of charge, the less chance of battery sulfation.
The cart is stored away in the garage for winter and stays plugged into a DPI Gen IV. It is always plugged in when not in use and during the summer gets used enough that it rarely gets to 50 volts before its back on the charger getting topped up. The issue we are discussing is the maintenance mode on the DPI Gen IV. I was relying on the charger to maintain the charge but noticed it fell below the 50 volt threshold and didn't kick in to charge the batteries. I'm not always around during winter so the idea was to have the smart charger be smart about keeping my battery pack healthy. Since it appears to be unreliable in that sense, I will now keep a closer eye on it and charge them more regularly.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #45
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I have since disconnected everything except charge wires and will manually trigger a charge when it gets around 50 volts.
I was commenting on your forward plan of waiting for it to drop to 50 volts before manually charging it. I believe that it would be healthier for your pack to charge it before getting to 50 volts ... suggesting charging after your pack after drops only 0.5 volts which is a 10% discharge or at 90% state of charge ... if you are around.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:05 AM   #46
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I was commenting on your forward plan of waiting for it to drop to 50 volts before manually charging it. I believe that it would be healthier for your pack to charge it before getting to 50 volts ... suggesting charging after your pack after drops only 0.5 volts which is a 10% discharge or at 90% state of charge ... if you are around.
The waiting is to again test the maintenance function in case my dash meter wasn't accurate when I noticed the sub 50 volt reading. When I am around I will most certainly trigger a more regular charge rather than wait for to "50 volt maintenance trigger" - but I also want to know if the maintenance is working in case I decide to head south for a spell...
Old 12-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #47
8-point
Gone Fishing

Club Car

Quote:
your stabilized after charge voltage (for me that is 52.2 volts)
Mine’s 52.3, so I must be doing ok with this Gen lV on that part, huh.
8-point is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car