lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Mitchshephard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default BAd Charger or batteries

I have a 2002 CC ds IQ 48v I知 trying to figure out if I have bad batteries or bad charger . Cart has all new motor , controller , solenoid and computer . I own a PowerDrive charger that will not turn on and I知 borrowing a delta Q charger that kicks on blinks green twice then shuts off and it repeats that over and over . My batteries were replaced in January and I知 showing 45.8 volts across the pack . At my charging receptacle I知 only showing 35.4 volts . My question I guess , is that right ? Doesn稚 seem right . I致e checked fuses and all wiring . Only time I drove the cart it was kind of weak considering the speed/torque upgrade and I was only able to drive it maybe ten minutes before it was struggling to move on any incline at all . Checked batteries and had two bad ones . So I swapped those two out real quick and I still have same issue with the performance . Any help would be good but remember electrical is a weak point for me so explain to me like I知 a dummy .
Mitchshephard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: BAd Charger or batteries

Make sure you are charging all batteries.

Measure the voltage from the charger receptacle positive socket and the pack negative battery post (has the cable that goes through the OBC).

If you don't get pack voltage, make sure the 10ga red wire from charger receptacle goes to the pack positive battery post (has the cable that goes to solenoid).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Mitchshephard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok I checked the voltage from the positive receptacle to the negative on the battery and I get pack voltage , but if I reverse it and go battery positive to recepticall negative I get 35.4 volts . Shouldn’t it be the same either way ?
Old 11-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

No, the negative wire from the receptacle goes through the OBC where it uses an SCR to regulate the current, so there is a voltage drop.

If all batteries were replaced in January, it would be unusual for having two bad batteries, so it may be a bad OBC which means all batteries were abused.

If you run the 10ga black wkre from the charger receptacle directly to the pack negative battery post, the Delta-Q or any smart charger should work.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Could one battery not be hooked up correctly ?
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Could one battery not be hooked up correctly ?
Times when I've seen on battery reversed in the pack the pack voltage was too low to run the cart but it was high enough to run the charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sounds like you have a bad negative connection i would check all the negative connections pull on each wire at the crimps might find a phoney connection i would hook the delta charger right on the battery if it dont charge use a volt meter check each battery might have a dead cell
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
Mitchshephard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

All batteries were replaced in January and the cart was barely used at all this year but the cart has always been plugged in . I went out one day to use it and the cart would not move . I noticed that my dog had chewed the charger cord right at the receptacle . It might have been like that for a couple weeks before I noticed . After checking is when I realized my charger didn’t work at all anymore . I checked fuse then batteries found two bad batteries . I replaced the two bad ones for now just figure out what’s up with cart . I figured it had a bad OBC . The cart being stock and 16 years old I decided to buy a new motor and controller and OBC and new solenoid . All this came in a kit from buggies unlimited with all new 4gauge wiring . Batteries a wired correctly with new cables . I checked today and have 2 new batteries reading 7.9 v and the rest are reading 7.3 v . What I would like to know is why does the delta q charger turn on blink a green light twice and shut back off and keep repeating that every 20-30 seconds . If it’s kicking on the OBC is good right? And is turning on and off because ???? .
Old 11-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
Mitchshephard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also how common is it to buy a new OBC and it be bad as well ?
Old 11-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Those batteries are all dead.8 volts is considered depleted.you need to bring the batteries that 7.3 to atleast 8 volts.The charger wont turn on if theres not enough voltage.You need to get a charger like a old school car charger and bring the dead batteries back to 8 volts.best to find one that will do 8 volt battery or 24 volt and wire the charge to do three batterys at a time does the delta q work as a stand alone and are wiring it directly to batteries bypassing obc?
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car