lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #1
MnGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor

Thinking of sending my Club Car DS motor into PQ for a rebuild, looking for more speed.
Curious, as I am an older gentleman, what is roughly the weight of the motor? Are they hard to remove and replace? I don't have any way of jacking it up off the floor so is it difficult to remove while parked in the garage? Looks like 4 bolts holding it in place?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
MnGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Motor

Its best to have a jack you can remove the body makes it real easy but you can get it out by jacking the cart up if you have a jack. You can get it out by removing the batteries electronics but i dont recomend this.Get some liquid wrench soak the studs on motor get a thin wrench to get the bottom nut on motor stud some are 1/2 some are 9/16 make sure you dont spin the stud.You can also leave the cables on motor and remove the other end of cable .I judt did this yesterday i removed the rear body took an hour i wanted to clean things up so i pulled the body theres 19 bolts screws and set screw on fordward reverse handle .
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGolfer View Post
Thinking of sending my Club Car DS motor into PQ for a rebuild, looking for more speed.

Curious, as I am an older gentleman, what is roughly the weight of the motor? Are they hard to remove and replace? I don't have any way of jacking it up off the floor so is it difficult to remove while parked in the garage? Looks like 4 bolts holding it in place?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It’s a little bit of a job... Expect 40 pounds or so for a stock motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

is it 36 or 48 volt motor ?

when I did mine I pulled the rear end out, disconnected from the leaf spring . theres two ways its going to go , either the motor is going to slide right off (which mine did) or the armature is going to stuck on hard and your going to need to pull the rear end at that point to get it off.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Club car DS. Put cart in tow. Unhook batteries. Remove cover behind seat.. Remove basket.. Take cables off motor. Remove bolts holding motor. Loop rope around motor. Make rope long enough to lower motor to floor. PQ puts handle on motor to aid replacement. I do all the lifting from above. I'm 72 and have changed motors 5 times on DS carts this way. You can use the rope to lift and shake the motor as you slide it off the shaft.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Depends what year cart he has early version didnt have a rear cover
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
MnGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all of the replies. Yesterday I decided to tackle the job and see how bad it was going to be. The hardest part was prying the motor off, the armature was stuck on there pretty good, but after about 45 min. I finally got it off. So now I just need to pack it up and send it in to PQ. (the motor is heavier than it looks!)
MnGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

You'll never succeed if you don't at least try!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGolfer View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. Yesterday I decided to tackle the job and see how bad it was going to be. The hardest part was prying the motor off, the armature was stuck on there pretty good, but after about 45 min. I finally got it off. So now I just need to pack it up and send it in to PQ. (the motor is heavier than it looks!)

Grease up the shaft with anti-seize when you re-install
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car