lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
Doc
Gone Wild

Default Is $1200.00 A Reasonable Budget?

I have a very "gently used" spotless clean 2013 Precedent that I'd like to get a bit more speed out of. It has 2016 batteries (well maintained) and is absolutely stone stock. I'm thinking of either a PlumQuick motor swap. Others I've spoken to say I should do a controller, motor, new batteries, etc, but they're all over the place. I should say I did a PQ swap about 15 years ago on a Carryall I had and was pleased with that. Does anyone have any input on which way to go? TIA!
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Is $1200.00 A Reasonable Budget?

Look around here for lots of ideas... https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/c...rs-and-magnets

And that is a Sepex cart you have now and you probably did that motor on a Series cart back then. In a Sepex I would absolutely do the Controller (XCT500) first and foremost, with cables and solenoid Total ~$815). Then down the road or when I was ready, I would place a PQ Executioner ($625) on there....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And do not replace those batteries. There is nothing wrong with them at 2 years old and I am sure you have maintained them well.....
Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Look here http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
Lowest prices on the stuff you need.
XCT400IQ with SW180 solenoid just $509
FSIP speed or torque motor $545 or 575
Well under budget and 27 mph on stock tires, higher speeds on taller tires
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Doc, remember to get you either an XCT500 (as you get the cooling fan included) for the most amperage available to release power or if you want to remain fairly stock and just go faster, then get you an XCT300.

The XCT500 will have the fan included (the 300 and 400 do not) and it can be mapped for any motor you choose. It can be set to any amperage you want to adjust it down if need be or when you go bigger, you are already there in regards to your controller and can do anything you want with no further controller upgrade needed.

The XCT300 has all the controlability of the XCT500, just less amperage and no cooling fan included. Both the XCT300 and XCT400 will prevent you from all you can get if you want to go bigger down the road as with a PQ or other aftermarket motors you will always have less available amperage then you were capable of with an XCT500.

It all comes down to what you want to do and what your goals are...
Old 12-03-2018, 06:18 AM   #6
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Have you ever thought about just a two speed motor? The company I used advertises that no other changes are needed. You tell them what you want and they will rewire your motor. My cart is lifted 6 inches with 22 tires. I went from 9 mph to 27 mph on level ground but, torque has suffered. I did rewire all my batteries with 2/0 wire, don't know if that was needed or not. Also I ordered the optional high/low switch. Cart has run all summer with no problems that I know of. The company is not new and I hesitate to give the name because of all the help I have received from people on this site. I spent less than 500 for this change. Very good people to work with. I have seen this company listed on this site several times so I guess it is ok to give the name. EMP, they have a web site.

Last edited by oncearacer52; 12-03-2018 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Add to it
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is my professional opinion that every cart does not need a 500 amp controller. I ask everyone, when have you ever seen the XCT cooling fan come on !?

I'm just saying if the XCT400 with a peak of 460 amps is doing everything you need and more without getting hot then spending more money for a bigger controller and fan that won't come on is unnecessary.

I personally have this set up with 300 and 400 amp XCT and you can hardly tell them apart with the same aftermarket motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

In my professional opinion no cart hardly ever needs a 400a controller and is why I usually recommend the 300a if they just want a little more power and speed but remain fairly stock, and then a 500a if they want more now or potentially down the road so they do not waste money buying a smaller one (300a or 400a) and then have to buy a bigger one (500a (largest in the Alltrax Sepex line)) down the road. The cost difference between a XCT400 and an XCT500 is $59. The cost of the cooling fan is $57, so for $2 more (since only the 500a includes the fan) you get 100 more usable amperage (power) and the most you can get for all your upgrade needs now or down the road.

As was posted by a sponsor yesterday about cooling vents in electrical motors being a good thing for cooling, we know that heat related failures are a big issue for electronics so again, for $2 more, I will take the 100 amps (+ peak amps) more and extend the life of my controller by helping it run cooler as I own five (5) and have a total of eight (8 ) in the family and six of them are 500a and two of them are 300a and all of them have the cooling fans.

And yes, my fans do run often enough I hear them and when parking them we leave the key on until the fan cuts off and then we cut the key off...
Old 12-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Doc
Gone Wild

Thanks for all of the great responses! I think I may actually go the upgraded controller/solenoid route, even though I HATE messing around with re-wiring..I remember EMP products. I used one of their motors in a cart I did back around 2001...easiest way to get speed and cheap. I didn't even know they were still around. I may give them a shout and see what they do on this particular motor....
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Thanks for all of the great responses! I think I may actually go the upgraded controller/solenoid route, even though I HATE messing around with re-wiring..I remember EMP products. I used one of their motors in a cart I did back around 2001...easiest way to get speed and cheap. I didn't even know they were still around. I may give them a shout and see what they do on this particular motor....
I recently set one of my customers up with an EMP motor. He absolutely loves it. It's a 6 seater Precedent that we stretched. It has a 6" lift kit and 23" tires and zips right along at 28-30 MPH. We used the Alltrax XCT 400 amp controller on his cart. Chuck at EMP was able to design the motor exactly to the specs that he needed to make his cart do what he wanted it to do. He emailed me a Field Map for the XCT, I loaded it into the controller off we went. We've had no issues with it at all. It was a good experience.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car