lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #21
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: New Batteries, Charger stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolx View Post
I don’t know about a precedent but on my DS the black wire from the receptacle does not go directly to the battery pack, it goes to the OBC. I would wager it’s similar since they both use the OBC to turn on the charger.
They both run to the OBC, but the Precedent has a quick connect terminal that the DS does not. And the DS has a fuse that the Precedent does not.... (2 if you include the sense wire)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #22
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Then something must have failed in the OBC prior to you getting it. The black 10g wire runs to the OBC so it can control the charging algorithm. (See attached) If the 10g wire runs directly to the main pack negative then it "bypasses" the OBC. Usually you need to land the gray sense wire to the same main pack negative to turn on the Powerdrive.

Are you sure the charger is turning on?

Is the charger a Powerdrive?
Possibly, I don't know too much about what was done to this cart before I purchased it.

the black wire coming out of the OBC is also routed to the negative terminal of the battery pack.

So in its last known working configuration it appears the black wire coming out of the receptacle was landing on the negative terminal of the pack, the black wire out of the obc was also landing on the same negative terminal and the gray wire was connected to the OBC.

The charger is a PowerDrive 1

Earlier this year when I first purchased the cart w/ charger, I had some issues with the charger and had it fixed by a local shop. It worked without issue since. I'm going to get the charger tested again this weekend.

I just don't get why it would stop working after just changing the battery pack out.

I'm wondering if as a test I should try and re-wire the black cable to the OBC per OEM configuration to see if that does anything.
FZ0niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 PM   #23
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Where did the wire come from going into the OBC?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #24
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I would.....

And is it actually turning on (Humming) and just showing no amps or what is it actually doing when you plug it in?

And have you tried it on another CC cart to verify the charger works on theirs?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #25
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Where did the wire come from going into the OBC?
The Black wire?

There’s a black wire coming from OBC to negative terminal on batt pack.

Based on wiring diagram, I suspect this black wire was originally connected to the charger port.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #26
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Quote:
I would.....

And is it actually turning on (Humming) and just showing no amps or what is it actually doing when you plug it in?

And have you tried it on another CC cart to verify the charger works on theirs?
Before the batt swap, the charger would click on and show 10-15 amps during charge.

After the swap, the charger clicks and humms, but shows 0 amps. This happens with all the Wiring Configs I’ve tried.

Hoping to test on another CC this weekend.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #27
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Take the black wire that is going to the OBC off the Negative post so you only have the 10g wire that goes back to the charging receptacle there. If the OBC was/is bad, this could be causing it to not allow the PD to operate (charge). In other words, we want to bypass the OBC. The black wire going back to the OBC should not be connected at all.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #28
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Quote:
Take the black wire that is going to the OBC off the Negative post so you only have the 10g wire that goes back to the charging receptacle there. If the OBC was/is bad, this could be causing it to not allow the PD to operate (charge). In other words, we want to bypass the OBC. The black wire going back to the OBC should not be connected at all.
Okay, disconnected the black cable coming out of the OBC.

Connected the gray from receptacle to negative post.

When I plug the charger in, it clicks, amp gauge quickly jumps to 15 and back to 0, then it just sits there and humms.

Other wiring setups I tried with no luck:

1. OEM setup based on wiring diagram. From receptacle, black wire to back of OBC. Gray wire to back of OBC. Red wire to positive batt post.

2. Same as #1 above, but gray wire from OBC to negative batt post.

3. Same as #1 above, but black wire from receptacle to negative batt post

Gonna hunt down another CC to test the charger with.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #29
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You are using any Powerdrive charger model, they will only work with a properly wired and functioning OBC, there is no wiring around it.

You can also by-pass and remove the OBC from the cart and buy a smart charger.

As far as the OBC wiring, there are two 10ga black wires on the OBC.

The 10ga negative wire from the charger respectable connects to the OBC using a single wire quick connect terminal.

The 10ga negative output wire from the OBC is "combo crimped" with the 6ga cable that passes through the OBC at the Controller B- terminal.

The pack negative cable "passing through the OBC" and where the wires connect on the Controller B- are not just suggestions but they are critical to the operation of the OBC charging system.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #30
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Still waiting to find another CC to test the charger with.

But started reading through charger / Batt manual. There is some warnings about cold weather affecting charging conditions.

The garage where I'm currently doing tests is currently 49F, should I be concerned with that affecting this?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car