lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New Batteries, slower speed

The Links Series charger is not OEM so You would need to confirm model number so we know if it needs the OBC or not.

The battery voltage requested should provide You a good idea if they have been installed correctly.

The Controller Speed code 4 does not get lost during power out, a lot of vendors ship them programmed with speed code 4 and it is not an issue.

If the shop had an inexperience tech that tried to check the Controller settings for you and did not know what he/she was doing, they could have gone into the seed code section and not know how to re-enter the unlock codes in order to re-select speed code 4.

You should also verify the S/N on your speed code 4 sticker still matches your controller just in case.

New batteries still deliver the full voltage (top cart speed) when brand new, it is only the "range" that improves after 50 charging cycles or so.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
-snip-
New batteries still deliver the full voltage (top cart speed) when brand new, it is only the "range" that improves after 50 charging cycles or so.
Hey Sergio, just want to share some of my experiences with you and the group. Totally agree the voltage is there after the 1st full charge, but the demand capabilities are usually not fully there yet, as the plates (sponge & lead) have not fully saturated and reacted. What I have seen is the voltage falls off very fast and prevents top speed, but after 20 or so reasonable discharges and subsequent recharges, the voltage stays more sustainable for longer periods and the speed is reflected by that. As you stated, the distance/range improves and continues through ~50 or so cycles.

My experience with the FLA batteries has been the bigger (higher A/H) batteries you have (which usually weigh more), the longer it takes to fully break them in and season them to be at their strongest yields.

Just another perspective to a nebulous process.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree that the voltage on the new batteries will sag a little more (or sooner) under load until the plates are fully formed, but I don't think it could drop that much to explain the loss of speed reported, something else has changed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the voltage readings requested are good then Sergio's tech theory is most likely correct.
Get the voltage readings first but -
If a shop did put these batts in call the shop and ask them what happened to your speed?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpeel6206 View Post
I have a 2005 club Car Precedent and just recently replaced the batteries. It is programmed with a speed code 4 and was topping out at 19 MPH. I have run it 5-6 times with the new batteries and can only get to 15 MPH. Batteries have been through 5-6 charging cycles. I am assuming that the batteries need to get broken in, but am curious if anyone has had this same issue. Thanks!
Did you change the batteries or have them changed?
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #16
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Now that I have a few more minutes, if you had a shop change your batteries they may have shorted something and blew your controller. Thus knowing this they may have just replaced it not knowing you had sp code 4.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #17
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Also check the air in your tires. I know it sounds funny, but I've had that happen before and get a couple of mph out of just airing them up to spec.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car