lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Default Info need for wheel offset

Planning on getting good mud tires with 12" steel wheels. Undecided whether 23 or 25" tire. I know the smaller tires will pull better, but the bigger tires will get over obstacles better ..... not sure which to get. DS has 11.4 HP AMD 7114 motor, 600 amp Alltrax controller, 2 ga cables, with 400 amp solenoid and HD FNR to be installed and new batteries. I would appreciate opinions about whether that rig can handle the 25" tires in the hills. Each hunting trip will be about 2 miles round trip, 4 miles max.

LOL .... almost forgot ..... will install All sport Aarm lift (4 or 6 inch) and wondering about the needed offset in wheels. Would 3-4 offset work, or better of with 2-5?
BigOL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Info need for wheel offset

The problem with big tires is they change the final gear ratio . 20s will clear most everything you want to drive over unless tree falls and boulder crawling are your thing. 22's will get a cart over most anything you should dare to crawl over, enough to let you scare yourself... 23s are needed for those who can't read the ground well enough to see a clear path for 22s. And anything bigger will tax the electric cart so hard you will regret trading so much torque for that much "clearance". Your mileage may vary.

I run 20s on everyday carts (it's so much easier on motors and batteries) and 22s on serious off road carts. 25s on a monster cart but it's got 25hp V twin gas.

3/4 offset is stock. 2/5 will stick them out there a little further
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

3/4 offset is stock. 2/5 will stick them out there a little further
LOL, I won't be boulder crawler but the Ozarks ARE full of rocks.

The tires I am looking at, I have only seen in 23 and 25 for 12" wheels. With the 4 or 6" lift would the 3/4 offset work?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes - The standard 3/4 offset should work with the 23s. Remember 23s will create a 25% loss of power in the cart compared to the stock 18s
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your fit should be good. I recently went from 23s to new 22s for pretty much the reasons Scotty mentioned. My 23s were wore down to almost no tread, [hence the 22" height], and if they didn't spin due to being bald, the cart pulled heavy loads better, accelerated better, no change in top speed, and less amp draw for a given situation. My cart was built to work too, and while it was always capable of what was asked of it, it just did it easier on 22s so I figured 1/2" of clearance under the diff is a pretty small tradeoff. But I seem to be in a VERY small group here, choosing tires for their performance over looks or price. Be careful on choosing mud tires, make sure they roll smooth on hardpack or roads as you will soon tire of your carts "bad vibrations" as we don't have the speed to escape them like f wheelers do.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Your fit should be good. I recently went from 23s to new 22s for pretty much the reasons Scotty mentioned. My 23s were wore down to almost no tread, [hence the 22" height], and if they didn't spin due to being bald, the cart pulled heavy loads better, accelerated better, no change in top speed, and less amp draw for a given situation. My cart was built to work too, and while it was always capable of what was asked of it, it just did it easier on 22s so I figured 1/2" of clearance under the diff is a pretty small tradeoff. But I seem to be in a VERY small group here, choosing tires for their performance over looks or price. Be careful on choosing mud tires, make sure they roll smooth on hardpack or roads as you will soon tire of your carts "bad vibrations" as we don't have the speed to escape them like f wheelers do.
The Barrage Mud tire, is very similar to Maxxis BigHorn UTV tire, which is excellent all round off road tire for packed dirt, mud, rocks, etc. I can only find the 22" in 10" wheel. May have to go that route. I could actually get the combo cheaper with 23" tire on 12" steel vs 22" on 10" GTW's
Old 12-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

A 10 inch rim will give you a better ride AND more traction, [more sidewall= more flex= more grip on rocks and roots] if you decide to go that route.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #8
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds like you have a torque motor so the larger tires for hunting (not racing) will be good. I set my DS hunting cart with a 6" Allsports SS lift, 24x11x10 Swamp Fox tires and 8 inch wide wheels with a 3+5 offset. You will be limited on ATV tire selection with a 4" lift. Good luck and show us pics along the build.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car