lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
jedotx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default What solenoid and f&r switch do I need for upgrade?

I am upgrading a 2000 CC 48 volt series cart. I have an Alltrex AXE4844 controler and 4 guage cables on order. I will be upgradeing the motor in the future. I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum but am not clear what Solenoid and F&R switch I need to purchase for this upgrade. Any help would be much appreciated.
jedotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What solenoid and f&r switch do I need for upgrade?

I always recomend the use of a 400 amp solenoid with 400 amp controller. Your controller should have come with proper fuse but if not Alltrax recomends ANN250 fuse. Remember also to install a 1N4004 Diode and a 470 OHM 10 W pre-charge resistor on solenoid.
On the F&R control I always used HD brass buss bar stock 1/4"-3/8" thick cut and drilled to size to replace existing light duty buss bars.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
jedotx
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is the Solenoid I was thinking I might use.
SW-180
•Allbright SW180
•72 Volts
•Rated load—making & breaking 200 Amps
•Inrush Current 800 Amps
•Magnetic blow-outs
•Used with the Alltrax 300 & 450 amp controllers

Old Mec The F&R switch you described is that something I would have to fabricate or is it available for sale somewhere.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Our sponsors have the heavy duty f-r switches.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedotx View Post
This is the Solenoid I was thinking I might use.
SW-180
•Allbright SW180
•72 Volts
•Rated load—making & breaking 200 Amps
•Inrush Current 800 Amps
•Magnetic blow-outs
•Used with the Alltrax 300 & 450 amp controllers

Old Mec The F&R switch you described is that something I would have to fabricate or is it available for sale somewhere.

Check out the Albrite website ~ that 180 solenoid is not rated at 72v. It is maxed at 1000amps inrush at 48v. Check it out, they make a 180B that can handle 96v.

http://www.albrightinternational.com...%20LEAFLET.pdf
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Go dog is your switch for ezgo only?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Albright is always a good solenoid and MAYBE one of the few still made OUTSIDE OF CHINA?? Been about a year since purchased last one so I would check. You want coil voltage same as pack voltage.
The F&R is parts you would have to fabricate from brass flat stock. Basic same as what you would purchase in HD unit, but rather simple and cheaper to rebuild your own unit. Requires a metal hack saw, drill and bits, small flat file and simple hand tools to rebuild.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
jedotx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Check out the Albrite website ~ that 180 solenoid is not rated at 72v. It is maxed at 1000amps inrush at 48v. Check it out, they make a 180B that can handle 96v.

http://www.albrightinternational.com...%20LEAFLET.pdf
Scotty,
My cart is 48 volts. I copied that info about the solenoid from a web site. I did not think the 72volts looked right. That having been said, do you think the SW180 would be a good choice for my project since my cart is 48 volts.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

It'll will work fine but It's loud and its NOT sealed. Dollar for dollar you can't beat a Tyco Czonka.

Theres a common misconception about solenoids. Just because you have a 400 amp controller doesn't mean you NEED a 400 amp solenoid. A 200 amp continuous duty like the HD white-rodgers is just fine for a 400 amp controller. It is rated 600 amps inrush. You will never even pull 400 amps with the stock motor. Even if you did it would only be for a few seconds at most. When your just cruising along your pulling considerably less than 100 amps. Theres been countless people use the HD White-Rodgers for everything from stockers to 650+ amp off road carts without issues.

Those 400 amp units from Altrax have china all over them. ZJWT solenoid
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

ROADY89--Tyco Czonka is new to me where do you get them and where are they made?
I agree with you about the Albright being open to contamination but it also has replacable contacts ( unless that has changed again? ) by being open you can see what condition its in and it is noisy BUT I'll take noisy anytime over cheap CHINESE junk?
I also agree with Roady about using high amp solenoids but I have found that in the long run they last and last compared to border line 200 amp rated units in anything but stock 70-100 amp carts. Just looking at Alltrax site yesterday and if you blow up picture of the HD solenoid it says "MADE IN CHINA" like almost every other thing sold in the USA????
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car