lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrading a 1999 Club Car DS to 48v

Hey WWford, welcome to the forum. I hope to be doing the controller package this spring and converting to 48. I already did some stuff backwards, like a lift for one, before I got some edcuation here.

I wanted to suggest a couple of things. One, is while you have out that PB blaster, soak the forward bolts on your springs. It might help once you start removing them. Rear ones too, but those front ones were a BUGGA on mine. Second, is to check your new U Bolt plate to see if the holes allow the bolts. Mine did not...right out of the box, and someone else posted the same thing here recently. He had to drill his out too. I love my Jakes lift, but this was a bit annoying.

If you don't mind doing it, I would really enjoy seeing pics of your build as you go. Others would too I'm sure. Good luck on your build and have fun. Again, welcome to BGW!
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
wwford
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the tip, Brushpup. I left some PB on the various nuts in the front, and they all seem to be manageable so far. I have been reading the instructions that came with the 6" spindle lift, the front disc brakes, and the extension plate that is required for 12" wheels. Obviously many of the steps of these three jobs are intermingled, and I'm getting a feel of what all needs to be done. The brakes look like the most complicated of the bunch.

Brushpup, I haven't studied the rear left enough yet to tell about the drilling of the U Bolt Plate; I do see that the instructions say "The two holes that the u-bolts go through need drilled out to 1/2" ", so that sounds like the case.

Here is a picture of the front of the cart tonight, after taking off a few bolts for fun.

Also, while it isn't a Jake's lift, this video is great to give you an idea of what's involved:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bareFront.jpg (77.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg frontSuspensionBefore.jpg (90.6 KB, 23 views)
wwford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

What I meant was for you to spray the bolts/nuts holding the rear leafs. Especially the forward ones. They tend to get battery corrosion on them. We had to drill out one of mine and cut them both to get em off.

Good to see you progressing...let us know how it is going with lots of pics.

I am especially interested in the mounting of the POT and linkage myself, but all will be interesting to see.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
What I meant was for you to spray the bolts/nuts holding the rear leafs. Especially the forward ones. They tend to get battery corrosion on them. We had to drill out one of mine and cut them both to get em off.

Good to see you progressing...let us know how it is going with lots of pics.

I am especially interested in the mounting of the POT and linkage myself, but all will be interesting to see.
I just did my lift this past weekend, and you are NOT lying about those forward leaf spring bolts. It took a 4# sledge hammer and a lot of cussing to drive those bastages out. It was almost as if they wedged bolts with too large a shoulder into those brackets. Dayummm.
mdlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry....I somehow missed that. Yep... Daayum bastages they are. I was actually getting worried mine weren't coming out. Cant wait to see more.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
wwford
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

That was mdlott who already finished his lift. I've still yet to experience the joy of the stuck forward bolt on the rear leaf. Hey, even the guy in the video had the same problem on both sides.

Back to random questions, look at the tie rod end up in my photo that has the yellow bubble comments. The cone-shaped rubber boots look pretty beat up, and make look worse by the time I get the tie rod loose from the spindle steering arm. Should I replace the boots and whatever else is in that connection?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Doh!....... I answered that on my mobile...wasn't paying attention obviously.

As for the boots, I would say yes for good measure, and see how the Tie Rod ends are. My tie end boots are worse honestly. I wasnt there for the front part of the lift so I don't know how the joints are. I plan on new ones along with the shock bushings as mine are toast. Sorry not to have a more solid answer, but maybe one of the vets will weigh in.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
mkernan
Getting Wild
Club Car

Mine were not in great shape either, but I still reused them. I have not seen any I sues with them, but one day I will need to replace them.
mkernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
mdlott
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwford View Post
That was mdlott who already finished his lift. I've still yet to experience the joy of the stuck forward bolt on the rear leaf. Hey, even the guy in the video had the same problem on both sides.

Back to random questions, look at the tie rod end up in my photo that has the yellow bubble comments. The cone-shaped rubber boots look pretty beat up, and make look worse by the time I get the tie rod loose from the spindle steering arm. Should I replace the boots and whatever else is in that connection?
Mine were shot out. I had 1/4 turn of play in the steering wheel, so I just replaced them all. BTW, there are (2) left hand threads, and (1) right hand thread ends. I got them for about $17 each. If yours are ok, you can probably find the boots at a carts parts house or auto part store. Also, I found the best way to separate the ends from the spindles was to give the spindles a sharp whack or 4 with a steel hammer. The pickle fork will ruin the boots.
mdlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
wwford
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Good advice, mdlott. Sharp whack with hammer was the best way to get the spindle off the tie rod ends. Look at the picture, all the tie rod ends look like junk, so I'm ordering new ones. Going to get a new tie rod too.

How in the world do you get the tie rod end off the little rod going into the steering bellows? Rusted in there pretty good, and the whole rod rotates pretty freely into the bellows when I do any experimental twisting. I don't want to mess up the unseen parts inside the bellows. I can't really grab the tie rod end, it doesn't have a good wrenchable surface. Is the rod that goes into the bellows a "Rack and Pinion Drag Link"? I can just order one of those too if that makes the job easier. What's involve in removing and replaces that part? I can't see what is under the bellows and I didn't want to mess it up.

The reason I wondered if that's a "Rack and Pinion Drag Link" is that the part doesn't really look like my part; my part has what looks like a nut on the tie rod end, and a nut-shaped ridge on the bellows side. Here is the part, and you can see mine in the attached photo:
https://www.everythingcarts.com/p-36...drag-link.aspx

Once I get this figured out, I'll be installing lift/brakes/extension plate at full steam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tieRodSteering.jpg (79.7 KB, 10 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car