lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
bobznew
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Failed Brake Test

**THIS IS REGARDING A 2009 ELECTRIC RXV**

Here's the situation:

-- Golf cart lurches forward (like normal) during the startup test.
-- Reverse buzzer goes into "alarm mode" -- buzzing off/on at 1 sec intervals. This continues in R/N/F. Only stops when key is OFF.
-- Cart will not accelerate in reverse or forward.
-- After turning key OFF, leaving in RUN position (not TOW), I can easily push
cart by hand.

So I concluded that the engine brake is my problem. I removed the engine brake, and the first thing I noticed was the SMELL. It smelled like burning rubber, despite the fact that it's been a few months since the cart has been driven.

I cleaned the brake with some steel wool, then a clean cloth, then reinstalled it. This did not fix the problem. THE CART CAN STILL BE PUSHED BY HAND WHEN IGNITION IS OFF, AND IN RUN POSITION.

Two questions:

1) Am I wrong to conclude that a new brake should solve the problem?
2) If so, would someone recommend a replacement brand/model?

Thanks in advance.
bobznew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Failed Brake Test

If you want to go cheap there is an ebay seller that aparently is the biggest RXV customizer in Texas that sells used take off brakes for $35 I assume they put new brakes on all carts they refurbish. There are other ebay sellers that sell new ones statting at $100, and I think MSRP is just under $200. If you search ezgo rxv brakes on ebay you should be able to spot them, they claim over 150 sold with no negative feed back.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Bobz,
Also, before you install that new brake, check this forum for the procedure. It's not difficult, but there are some caveats.

There might even be a YouTube video on the subject.

Mind you, I've never had to replace the brake on my RXV, but I've read this forum for a long time...
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
Helirich
Gone Wild

I don't have any help for you, but I would like to better understand that cart. I was under the impression the only brake on an RXV was the engine. (I thought it just became a generator) I know there's some kind of "key" like a auto tranny on a car. But I thought that can only come into play at a stop. Do you have any pics of your brake? Please share.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Hi RXV tech here.

1) it is not normal for RXV to lurch or jump at key on.
2) jumping or lurching is symptom of bad "Parking/emergency" brake.
3) replacing brake is only reliable fix.
4) just get new brake from EZGO - don't buy someone's problem.
5) just snug 3x10mm bolts on parking brake -- over tightening causes brake failure.
6) brake on motor is "parking/emergency " brake only, all normal braking is performed by motor.

Good luck !!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
egoh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
I don't have any help for you, but I would like to better understand that cart. I was under the impression the only brake on an RXV was the engine. (I thought it just became a generator) I know there's some kind of "key" like a auto tranny on a car. But I thought that can only come into play at a stop. Do you have any pics of your brake? Please share.
Helirich, you can think of the motor brake on an RXV like an electronic parking brake. Under most circumstances, it only engages to keep the cart from rolling away.

The automatic transmission unlock on cars isn't quite the same. In that case, you're disengaging the transmission (neutral). For the RXV, you're actually having power go to the motor brake so that it disengages the brake and allows the cart to roll.

BTW, the seller Isaac is talking about is John, from Georgetown, TX. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him in person. He's a really nice guy. By default, he would swap out lots of parts, even if they were working, just to ensure that the carts would be trouble free for the long term. He's got piles of take off parts that were working fine and sells them for cheap. Personally, I prefer new parts.
egoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
bobznew
Not Yet Wild

Thank you to everyone for all the replies. I am going to purchase a new motor brake. With all the hills we have around our home I should get something that will work for a while at least.

Thanks again.
bobznew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoh View Post
Helirich, you can think of the motor brake on an RXV like an electronic parking brake. Under most circumstances, it only engages to keep the cart from rolling away.

The automatic transmission unlock on cars isn't quite the same. In that case, you're disengaging the transmission (neutral). For the RXV, you're actually having power go to the motor brake so that it disengages the brake and allows the cart to roll.
Thanks for the explain. It appears to work as I originally thought. I would discribe the brake as a electronic resistance. (Not a parking brake) it doesn't really work at a full stop. Then it relys on the mechanical park "key". As I understand it, that key is spring loaded "On". It is electricly operated to release.

Your explaination of a auto tranny on a car is not quite correct though. The key on an auto tranny has nothing to do with disengaging (or engaging) the tranny. It is a seperate mechanical key that locks the output shaft. That's why you can rev the engine in newtral or park.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
egoh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
The key on an auto tranny has nothing to do with disengaging (or engaging) the tranny. It is a seperate mechanical key that locks the output shaft. That's why you can rev the engine in newtral or park.
Sorry, I must not have the nomenclature correct for automatic transmissions. I incorrectly assumed you were talking about shift lock override that sometimes uses the car's key to work.
egoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoh View Post
Sorry, I must not have the nomenclature correct for automatic transmissions. I incorrectly assumed you were talking about shift lock override that sometimes uses the car's key to work.
Actually, you maybe right and I'm using the wrong term. What I'm calling a key, I believe is really called a parking pawl.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO