lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Ezgo TXT swap

So I picked up a 98 TXT for cheap. Motor isn't worth rebuilding in this cart so I'm parting that out, and kinda wanted to do something different so I was planning on dropping a clone in and had a couple questions for you clone experts. Cart is already lifted and on 22" tires.

My plan was the CPP engine cradle and a CV tech or comet 780 clutch. And dropping in some flavor of a 420 clone (predator, Lifan, or maybe a VC 460).

Will the CPP cradle work with a 420 clone? It says it's a v-twin cradle on their site.

Also, the cart came with the stock secondary clutch that appears to be in good shape. But also a secondary from a Polaris ranger that appears to fit correctly. Would I be better off with the Polaris clutch? I can find some info on here about polaris primary clutches, and it came with one of those too but I don't want to deal with cutting the crankshaft so I'll buy a clutch... but i can't seem to find any info on using a Polaris secondary. Ant experience with this?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Ezgo TXT swap

A v-twin has a different bolt pattern from one on a 420 or 460. That can be confirmed on VC's site.

If you have a chance, try using both and see which one operates better.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

CPP deals with Briggs and Stratton Vanguard v-twins. The engine mounting hole pattern may be different.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Hmm... may have to call and ask. Says it should also.work with Kawasaki, Kohler, and clone motors. Worst case I suppose I could just drill new holes, or get a v-twin. They arent that much more $

https://www.cartpartsplus.com/perfor...-carrier#intro
Old 12-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Drill bits and angle grinders can make most engines mount to an engine plate. Even better the mounting holes on the front cover side are 8.5"s center to center apart and the 1.5" wide slots on the crankcase side are also 8.5"s apart center to center. The width from side to side with some decent size bolts could vary from 3.25-4.25 "s. Time for the tape measure.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Anybody have any experience with these?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LIFAN-1-...BDQC/203277131

I like that because it's easy to just drop it in with no modification and already has 18amp charging.

Also, has anybody used a Polaris clutch?
Old 12-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Just bear in mind that engine uses the UT-2 ignition coil and flywheel with a built in electronic governor that limits the the engine to 3600 rpms or so.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks for the info. I'm fine with that, I have to keep a few things in mind...

1. I'm eventually going to have to sell it. So while I want to do things right, most people are more comfortable with a motor off the shelf than one assembled by someone they dont know. While I'm plenty capable of putting it together and understand the 460 is a better option, "bob from craigslist" doesn't know me. I wouldnt necessarily be comfortable buying an engine someone else I dont know put together, either.

2. I'm not going for breakneck speeds. Just building something geared towards off road and maybe towing some stuff around, so the extra torque would be welcomed over a stock motor. If it ends up anywhere between 18-25mph on 22" tires, that's plenty.

3. IMO factory governed RPM is an good thing. While you or I would be comfortable watching a tach and keeping it under 5000 rpm or whatever a 460 is built or upgraded to, "bob" is usually a moron and will rip the throttle until the engine explodes. This is not good for me or "bob".

Basically I'm trying to stay economical, but build something torquey and reliable. Plus I've never had a finished clone cart so also want to give it a whirl for my own fun. We will do like we do with the rest of the carts I build... beat it up and play with it until the novelty of something "new and fun" wears off, then off to craigslist it goes. And who knows, I may end up liking this better

I do think I'll just order the clutch and engine kit from vegas carts. Keep it simple. :)
Old 12-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Probably without a lift kit 20" tires are all that is going to fit. 20" tires 11:1 gear ratio with 3600 rpm red line = 19.5 mph by the speed calculator. Kind of an slow dog for all the work.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Probably without a lift kit 20" tires are all that is going to fit. 20" tires 11:1 gear ratio with 3600 rpm red line = 19.5 mph by the speed calculator. Kind of an slow dog for all the work.
It's already lifted and on 22" tires. So I think itll be all right
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!