lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
lccaccia
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 gas ezgo

I have an 1988 2cycle gas ezgo that I purchased with many issues. I have had to replace drive and driven clutches, replace gaskets and a few other things. Now I was driving along and the cart just quit but after a few tries it started and ran back home with choke closed. Left it set for a while and tried it again an nothing . I gave it a shot of starter and it fired . Only 80lb of compression. Pulled engine and piston broke but still in tact on exhaust side. How much play sould there be in connecting rod up and down that is I have about 1/8 play. The last question is how do you remove the seals to replace. Thanks les

Last edited by lccaccia; 04-06-2012 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: said open when meant closed
lccaccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 gas ezgo

Hello lccaccia and welcome to BGW. I think that you probably know that the answer is not going to be good news. With 80 psi and all that play your little 2PG is shot. However all is not lost as a complete engine rebuild kit is available and will replace all the relevant parts. You will be looking at a cost of ~$400.

Removing the old seals is not a big deal but it does take a little time. I ended up using a large screwdriver as a pry bar and just winkled them out, taking care not to scratch the mating face on the crankcase. When you do replace them it is a good idea to lube the rubber with some 2 stroke oil and smear some Loctite blue bearing sealant on the meatl faces.

If you need any more help just shout out.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
lccaccia
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Before I found this forum I ordered a top end rebuild and 3 new motor mounts . when I last stated I had 1/8 play it is not the crank it is just the connecting rod on roller bearing. I am very mechanically inclined but 2cylinders are new to me. Since th play is not in the crank I did not feel need to go that far was I wrong? Thanks les
Old 04-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I guess I misunderstood, are you saying that they play is in the top end i.e. the wrist pin? If that is the case then the top end kit will take that out (with the proviso that it actually fits). To be sure I would do two things.

1. Grab the connecting rod and try to pull it up and down, then rotate the engine with it. If you feel any play or any grittiness on rotation you have a problem.

2. Grab the drive clutch and try to lift the engine. If you see or feel any play of the crankshaft with relation to the block you will have a bearing issue.

If neither of these things happen you should be good to go.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
lccaccia
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I am expecting the part somewhere between th 12th and the 18th. This cart has a 4" lift and quad tires on it . Cart helps with daily chores on farm with the cargo box that I built. When the cart quit why would it fire on either but not suck in the gas , I relize that starting fluid is vapor but I thought it should have fired on gas tried electric fuel pump but it was not the answer. Thanks Les
Old 04-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
lccaccia
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The more I read about the 1988 ezgo gas I am getting the feeling I have an oddball cart. When I look at parts 88's are singled out. Les
Old 04-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Yep but a lot of the pre 88 will work.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
lccaccia
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Went to the mailbox and much to my suprise the top end kit was there and so were the mounts . All I have to say now is let the fun begin . Ordered my parts from the golf cart king on wednesday and got it saturday with free shipping. I plan on eliminating the oil injection but am understanding that I will have to put a plug in a hol . More info please. Thanks Les
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

The hole in the intake that you will be removing the line from. If I'm correct its a 6mm use a short one and seal it.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Nate69
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

yep ur right racin161
Nate69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO