lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
rfurnell93
Not Yet Wild

Default No Reverse on a 36 V Club Car Controller Cart

I have a 36V Club Car Controller cart that won't run in Reverse. I have verified that the F/R switch is good and have confirmed that the Reverse micro switch was good. The inline resistor from microswitch 3 (reverse microswitch) was corroded and broken. I assume that will prevent the cart from running in reverse?? Can you eliminate the in-line resistor by just taking it out of the circuit and running a direct wire or does that pin on the controller that it goes to need to read resistance?

Last edited by rfurnell93; 11-12-2018 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: didn't finish the title
rfurnell93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 36 V Club Car Controller Cart w

If You replace the resistor with a wire the cart will not run in reverse.

The old 36v controller used a 0-5kΩ multi-step potentiometer (aka: VGlide) for throttle.

When you put the FNR in reverse, the micro-switch #3 added a 5.1kΩ resistor in parallel with the VGlide to reduce the maximum resistance.

IF You want full speed in reverse, just remove the resistor and insulate the black and the white wires to prevent a short.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
rfurnell93
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: No Reverse on a 36 V Club Car Controller Cart

Thank you for your response Sergio. Can you please clarify how I can get full speed in Reverse? I'm confused. Isn't "removing the resistor and insulating the black and the white wires to prevent a short" the same as just replacing the resistor with a wire?
Old 11-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

No, I meant insulate each wire separately so they don't touch each other or anything else.

If You connect those 2 wires together You will keep the throttle at .
Old 11-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
rfurnell93
Not Yet Wild

Sergio, to be clear, there would be nothing connected to micro-switch #3. Just disconnect both of them from the micro switch and insulate the ends, right?
Old 11-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, keep the wires separated from each other and not connected to any switch.

You can also buy a new 5.1kΩ x 1/2 watt resistor to replace the reduced speed resistor.

If the cart does not run in reverse but the solenoid clicks, the only possible explanation is that the contacts at the FNR that align when the switch is on Reverse are melted.

Take the FNR apart and you should see sunken or corroded contacts.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
rfurnell93
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help Sergio! It is much appreciated.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
rfurnell93
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Yes, keep the wires separated from each other and not connected to any switch.

You can also buy a new 5.1kΩ x 1/2 watt resistor to replace the reduced speed resistor.

If the cart does not run in reverse but the solenoid clicks, the only possible explanation is that the contacts at the FNR that align when the switch is on Reverse are melted.

Take the FNR apart and you should see sunken or corroded contacts.

Sergio, I removed the black and the white wires from the microswitch and the cart tries to go in reverse but still won't run in reverse. I verified that its not the F/R switch because I swapped the wires on the back of the F/R switch and the cart will still run in forward and not reverse. I assume the throttle input is fine because the cart runs as it should in Forward. I even swapped the forward and reverse wires at the motor to make sure that it wasn't a problem at with either of the S Terminals at the motor and still it runs in forward only. Any other ideas?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are a lot of wires on the back of the FNR so you will need to be more specific to what you changed.

Also, there are no forward and reverse wires at the motor, the motor direction is controlled by how the current flows through the Armature and Stator windings.

Make sure the FNR is wired correctly.

The FNR swivel posts need to connect to motor posts S1 and S2.

The anti-arcing microswitch (White/Black-stripe and Green/White wires) has to be the first micro-switch.

The White and the black wires that went to micro-switch #3 should not be connected to anything.

Use this diagram for reference:

Old 11-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
rfurnell93
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
There are a lot of wires on the back of the FNR so you will need to be more specific to what you changed.

Also, there are no forward and reverse wires at the motor, the motor direction is controlled by how the current flows through the Armature and Stator windings.

Make sure the FNR is wired correctly.

The FNR swivel posts need to connect to motor posts S1 and S2.

The anti-arcing microswitch (White/Black-stripe and Green/White wires) has to be the first micro-switch.

The White and the black wires that went to micro-switch #3 should not be connected to anything.

Use this diagram for reference:

Sergio, I swapped the swivel wires on the back of the F/R switch to determine if the F/R switch was the problem. If the cart would have run in reverse while the switch was in forward then it would mean that the "reverse side of the F/R switch wasn't making good contact and obviously bad. When I did this, the cart still ran in forward while the switch was in reverse and the cart did NOT run in reverse while the switch was in forward. I would have to eliminate the F/R switch as being the problem with this scenario, correct?

Then, I put the F/R switch wires back to normal and I swapped the S1 S2 wires at the motor just to verify that the problem wasn't at either of those motor terminals. Still, the cart only runs in Forward and not reverse.

All of this is without the resistor or any wires attached to the #3 microswitch. I have ordered a 1/2 watt 5.1k resistor. Do you think its possible that the controller just wont run correctly without sensing that additional resistance when the cart is in reverse? Any other ideas?

Thanks again for taking the time to help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car