lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
14T
Not Yet Wild

Default run-tow switch wire broke, now not charging

I have a 2003 NQO 399 The odd-ball with a roll bar and 4 wheel brakes.

Last time I drove it, it made a funny whiny noise for an instant as I backed up and then took off. Drove fine, made a couple of stops and went back home. About 5 min of use total.
Plugged on the charger Nada Nothing.
Then I noticed that the Tow-Run switch had been replaced in the past with a pair of butt wire connector splices and one had separated to the point only one strand of wire was doing the job.

So a couple of quick questions before I proceed. Is the Off position of the toggle switch (circuit disconnected) the tow position or the run position?

I also noticed that on the charger cable one connector (the smaller diameter one) does not sit as high as the other two. Is this normal? Is it supposed to be recessed a bit? On the socket mounted on the cart, the 3 pin receivers all look to sit on the same plane.

Thanks
14T is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: run-tow switch wire broke, now not charging

Dunno about the tow switch. Also not sure why or how that would affect charging. Cart should still charge regardless of tow switch position.

The sense pin in the dc charge cord is shorter. It’s that way on purpose so that pin disengages first so the charger turns off before the two charge pins disconnect. If the charge pins are energized when the plug is removed it will arc and can burn the pins. It’s also not good to have sparks near charging batteries as batteries produce hydrogen gas when charging. Sparks + hydrogen = big boom.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
14T
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: run-tow switch wire broke, now not charging SOLVED!

Thank you for your logical reply. I think I know why it is not charging. I forgot about the new battery cables that a friend helped me to install. There a couple of rough ones, and one of those was the battery ground circuit. Yea the lug was too big to go through the hole in the body. I didn't realize that the "hole" went through OBC and that I will need to re-route the ground wire properly and replace the lug after the wire is routed. My Bad very bad
14T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: run-tow switch wire broke, now not charging SOLVED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14T View Post
-snip-
Yea the lug was too big to go through the hole in the body. I didn't realize that the "hole" went through OBC and that I will need to re-route the ground wire properly and replace the lug after the wire is routed. My Bad very bad
And when you correct that it will also reset the OBC and that will be needed here.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car