lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Catfish308
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question 83 36v no reverse

Hello Everyone, hoping to get some help on my 83 club car. I recently received this cart which needs some work and have rewired it as it had seen better days. I used the wiring diagrams found on this site and things went well but I ran into an issue after I completed everything. My cart only works in forward but not reverse. Now I’ve read some posts on other people having the same issue but none of them have fixed my issue.

Current wiring looks like this

What I know/done:

F&R switch is the handle lever type

In forward all solenoids get power and click but I only have speeds 2-4. I tested continuity on solenoid 2 and didn’t have any. So that needs to be replaced

Assumption - all microswitches are ok as power gets to all solenoids in forward

When switching F&R switch to reverse, no solenoids activate

If I swap black A1 with white coil pack, F&R switch will work in reverse but go forward.

If I swap S1 & S2 on the motor (I believe this is what I did) the motor will run in reverse.

Cart will run with key in on or off position (assuming I need a new key switch)

Reverse buzzer is not hooked up (previous owner removed it)

Any help is appreciated.
Catfish308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 83 36v no reverse

The key sends a negative signal to fire the solenoids up tru the foot pedal and I believe the same wire feeds tru the ford ward reverse microswith as safety so if the key switch has been bypassed they must be going tru the f/r micro then the foot micro to fire the solenoids up does the f/r microswitch activate when you go in forward and reverse
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
Catfish308
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes the f&r micro does activate when moving the lever. The micro is hooked to the key switch and the solenoid pack. The other end of the key switch hooks to the negative end of the charge port. I can remove one of the wires tomorrow from the key switch to see if that disables the power.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Catfish308
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did a quick test this morning by unplugging the f&r microswitch and the solenoids still tripped in forward. Not sure how since there is only the yellow (f&r micro) and green (speed micros) wires going to the solenoid. So that is for sure an issue, guess I can rewire the solenoids to see if that fixes it. Could this cause my forward no reverse issue?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Key switch sends negative signal to f/r microswitch which fires up the ground side of solenoid coils the microswitch in foot throttle feeds the positive side of solenoid the first one activates the master then the rest are speeds 1 tru 4 if you go too sticky notes look at the wiring drawings there’s a couple ways to wire the forward reverse you can also change the reverse from 18 volts 1/2 speed to 36 full speed in reverse post picture of f/r wiring
Old 01-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
Catfish308
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help everyone. I took the bus bar off to get a better look at things and noticed that the lug coming from the end of the solenoids was touching the yellow wire stud that jumps all the other solenoids. Once I fixed that, the cart worked in forward and reverse.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Glad you got it
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car