lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Sorceress
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Replacement

I have a 2005 Club Car Precedent that came with four 12 volt Trogen T-1275 batteries with a 150 amp hour rating. Not even sure these are the right batteries for this type of cart. I checked all 4 batteries and the readings are , 12.47V, 12.27V, 12.28V and 10.35V after a recent charge. Looks like one of them definitely needs to be replaced. I do need a recommendation on brand replacement, especially on the amp hour rating. Is 150 amp hours marginal for this cart?
Thanks
Sorceress is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery Replacement

Your note should read "batteries replacement". As long as you don't require the cart to go miles and miles and miles between charges, the Trojan T1275 (they were original equipment in that year) are considered very good batteries.

Here's the down side - if you replace just one in an old battery pack - it will be as-bad-as the old ones (however bad they might be) VERY QUICKLY. When wired in series, which golf cars are, the batteries are like potato chips. You can't have just one! The single replacement battery will decay almost immediately.

Assuming the cart has served your requirements well so far, the Trojan T1275 are excellent quality replacements. The trouble is, you will have to buy four to get any long term life from your pack.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Having one bad 12v battery out of four is almost always the result of tapping that battery for accessories, make sure you get a 48v->12v reducer for your cart.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Albeit not the preferred method, when I have had one (1) bad battery in a set (yes, it happens from time to time) that was not very old or still had plenty of life left, I would find a similar battery of age and amp-hour and replace it until I needed a new pack. Has worked many times for us over the years, BUT, my point was more so that we did that with a "good" pack. You should be getting ~12.73 volts 12 hours after you charged. Your number are far below that which is a tell-tale sign that the pack is going out....

See the attached for a State Of Charge (SOC) chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Percentages.jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:39 AM   #5
Sorceress
Not Yet Wild

Being that I will be buying 4 new 12 volt batteries where is the best place to buy them along with what brand, model number and amp hour rating?
Old 01-31-2019, 05:42 AM   #6
Sorceress
Not Yet Wild

Forgot to post about this in my last post. Has anyone added 4 digital battery voltage meters to their cart to then actually see, in real time, the batteries voltage. On my last cart I did install one digital meter and it showed the pack voltage which I liked because it told me the state of my batteries and when it was time for a charge.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

You can connect all of the batteries together in parallel (not connected to the cart).
Leave them that way for 24 hours. All voltages will balance.
Then reconnect them in series.
Charge them as normal.
Check each battery’s voltage.
They should be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
You can connect all of the batteries together in parallel (not connected to the cart).
Leave them that way for 24 hours. All voltages will balance.
Then reconnect them in series.
Charge them as normal.
Check each battery’s voltage.
They should be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Interesting, I never tried that.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Same voltage does not mean same remaining capacity, if this was related to a single discharging event, simply connecting a 12v charger to that battery would fix the problem.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

As Sergio stated, and with a 10.35 volt battery, that is a cell issue and will not ever balance out.

In regards to batteries, US Battery, Trojan, and Crown's are the top line for carts. For normal social riding and venturing, my last set of US "Red Tops" made it 10 years with correct maintenance and charging. Although this is rare and that cart was not used for hours and hours everyday, they were great and lasted right up till the end with still be capable of holding 50.x volts 12 hours after charging. When they went out, it was literally all at once.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car