lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
rickstwowheels
Not Yet Wild

Default Undo 1996 DS charger relay bypass

I Bought a 1996 ds 48v golf cart today for my Dad and I want it to be right before I take it to him. There is a switch on the front of the charger and the PO said it was to bypass a relay, but I would like the charging system to cut off automatically. I read the charging system troubleshooting thread. Item #4 in the first post explains why someone might want to do this I guess. I would like make it right though. I have ordered part number (103414901 - KIT- RELAY- 48V) for the charger. Is there a way that I can test the OBC before this is installed to see if it also needs to be replaced? This cart also needs all new batteries. I bought it cheap though, so I can spend some cash on it. TIA -Rick
rickstwowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Undo 1996 DS charger relay bypass

The relay is just to start and stop it, and is controlled by the OBC. You will have to replace the relay and then let it run as it should and see if the OBC shuts off normally after a full charge. I am guessing the OBC is faulty......
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

If batteries are no good obc may not work properly are they holding 8 volts on each battery?
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What charger do you have?

Simply Replacing the relay isn’t going to tell you what is wrong, and it may still not be right even after replacing it. If the OBC in the cart is bad, you may have wasted money on a relay, when a new smart charger is cheaper than a new OBC.

To TEST the relay, Undo whatever wiring was done to connect the switch. The Orel number of the charger will help here to make sure you can get the right wire diagram for the charger. Get the relay wiring connected properly and then simply plug the charger into the cart. Wait 10-15 seconds and see if the relay Clicks on.
If it clicks on, good, now does the transformer start buzzing and the ammeter needle moves to indicate the charger is producing current?

If it does not click on, there are a handful of things to check to figure out why, but first you need to get the relay wiring right in the charger. We can figure out what else is wrong after that.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 AM   #5
rickstwowheels
Not Yet Wild

The relay is bad, the batteries are also bad (new set ordered). The charger says "Power Drive" and "Club Car" on the front of the box.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
rickstwowheels
Not Yet Wild

I think I understand what you guys are saying... If the relay was bypassed it was likely because the OBC was bad. I am not sure where to go from here, but that is a start I suppose.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

A relay can fail, but if yours is bad, replace it, then see if the OBC is fully functional, if not, get you a new smart charger and completely bypass this OBC or you can replace the OBC (Not preferred choice)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
rickstwowheels
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
A relay can fail, but if yours is bad, replace it, then see if the OBC is fully functional, if not, get you a new smart charger and completely bypass this OBC or you can replace the OBC (Not preferred choice)
Thank you, I will do this. New batteries should be in by next weekend.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car