lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
ndeq
Not Yet Wild

Default How to tell what is wrong with ‘04 Club Car DS IQ Regen Motor?

Hello. I was driving my cart today and noticed it began slowing down, followed by a burning smell. I turned the cart off and flipped the tow/run switch and began to drive again. The cart had to be pushed to start moving, began to sputter while accelerating, and no longer reached top speed. When I arrived home, I took apart the motor to find a blob of melted material on the armature and brushes that are completely worn. Is this motor worth salvaging / capable of being rebuilt or is it a goner? Thanks.

AD6E7A0A-F4BA-4921-93DE-53B8E3EE4796.jpg

8EDB5642-507D-4A3D-A5F4-089C48EECFAA.jpg

17F83F49-D95F-43C6-A575-641010D4832B.jpg

45A2F823-5959-4402-901F-0E6FAE404C70.jpg
ndeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: How to tell what is wrong with ‘04 Club Car DS IQ Regen Motor?

The blob is just the balancing paste from the factory. I cannot see the commutator very clearly but I am sure it has normal wear for a 15yr old motor. I would clean it up and put a set of brushes in it as it was still operating when you pulled it off. Having to push it to get it going is a sign of contact brush failure and you seem astute at the mechanics of it so grab new brushes and put it back together. Probably want to replace that bearing while it is out.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: How to tell what is wrong with ‘04 Club Car DS IQ Regen Motor?

Looks like the brushes just wore out.
New brushes, new bearing and get the commutator cut so it’s nice and clean again. Should be good as new.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car