lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default DS charging

A guy in our park brings me his club car DS cart and says his charger is not working. It's a 48 volt with a OBC
One of the first things I did was plug my charger charger in and after a few seconds it started charging and pegged the meter on my charger but didn't look like it was charging.
Would I be correct thinking that he has 2 issues like a bad OBC and a bad charger.
jim,s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: DS charging

If your meter pegged, it was charging as current was going into it or meter would have shown "0".

If your charger worked and his did not, there is an issue with his charger. (relay, breaker, rectifier, connection, etc.)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Nole,

Does the OBC regulate how much current the charger outputs? Or just tell it when to cut off?

I was under the impression the charger regulated output and the OBC controlled charge time, float time, etc.

Does anyone know what's actually inside the OBC? I just took one out of my DS, may have to peel back all the crap and see what is really in the thing
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The OBC controls all the charging aspect, including the current, the external PowerDrive box is just a dumb unfiltered and unregulated power supply.

There is quite a lot of technology inside an OBC and the entire circuit is "potted" for long service life.

You can see the inside view from this picture, If you look at the blue toroidal concentrator (it is not a coil), the hall effect sensor chip is located on that gap you see at the 3:00 clock position.

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car