lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Hey gurus. Motor specs and controller setting ?s

I may be beating a dead horse, but I'll risk it... I'll try and keep this shorter, rather than longer...
I have:
Admiral A4 high torque motor
Alltrax XCT500 controller
I made a user profile switch.
23" tires

I want:
User profile for high torque need situations
User profile for speed situations
User profile for kids and my lady to safely use(I will set this at 1650 rpms to achieve aprox. 15 mph) Is heat an issue if run this way for long?

I'm a little confused as to what would be the RPM setting, and any other settings, where peak torque is achieved.

This is a torque motor, so the top speed will not be crazy, I understand that. Just want to make a profile that will get the highest speed my set up is capable of, in safe parameters of my motor.

I'm finding it difficult, to say the least, to get specs on my motor. Seems to be a common theme from my searches on here. Here is what Redhawk sent me via email: Below are the specs on this motor. However, what we have posted on the website is what we recommend. Anything beyond that we cannot guarantee its functionality.

MOTOR NUMBER
MOT-A4
OPERATING VOLTAGE
48V/DC
LOAD TORQUE
12.4±0.2(N*m)
LOAD ROTATING SPEED
3200±8%(RPM)
LOAD CURRENT
≤110.0(A)

This is what they have posted on their website: Speeds up to 20 MPH.
12.3 peak horsepower.
Includes speed sensor.
Replaces D1162, D388.
Requires upgraded controller.

All pretty much useless in terms of specs.... in my opinion...
The tag on my motor says 14 HP. The Alltrax came with 6000RPMs as default. Which is way higher than what Redhawk is stating to be "guaranteed functionality". Let alone volts, amps, etc.

Can anyone de-mystify this for me? Let me know if any more information is needed. I believe any other information that might be needed to answer these questions is in my signature...

Thanks in advance!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Hey gurus. Motor specs and controller setting ?s

Make sure you are looking at the "mph" (2nd field) and not kph in the speed calculator, 1650rpm is 9.2mph with 23" tires and 12.315:1 ratio.

There is not an advantage to limit torque, you can lower the throttle rate for the "safer" modes (30% or less) so the cart responds smoother to quick pedal movements.

The long stack high torque motors can not/should not spin too fast due to their larger rotating mass.

I like to have the torque increasing while the speed is not changing rapidly in order to provide smoother low speed maneuvering, something like this:

The 3200rpm is likely where the maximum torque is developed and not an rpm limit.

The speeds up to 20mph indicates a 4,600rpm since those specs would be for a standard 18" tire.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Make sure you are looking at the "mph" (2nd field) and not kph in the speed calculator, 1650rpm is 9.2mph with 23" tires and 12.315:1 ratio.

Oops! I was looking at KPH, I'll change that.

There is not an advantage to limit torque, you can lower the throttle rate for the "safer" modes (30% or less) so the cart responds smoother to quick pedal movements.

That makes sense.

The long stack high torque motors can not/should not spin too fast due to their larger rotating mass.

The 3200rpm is likely where the maximum torque is developed and not an rpm limit.
These last two points you make is why I'm saying that their "specs" seem useless to me. Surely they know what these parameters are. So why don't they release that information, is my point. Likely their legal department...

The speeds up to 20mph indicates a 4,600rpm since those specs would be for a standard 18" tire.
Thanks Sergio. I'll check all that out. I know I don't want the motor spinning too fast. Seems 6000 RPMs is considered the standard, highest safe setting for golf cart motors, from everything I can find on here?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would start with 4,600rpm limit or around 25mph and only increase the rpm limit if that is not fast enough after you drive it.

Most torque motors develop their peak torque at very low rpms and the torque drops very quickly as the rpm increases.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I would start with 4,600rpm limit or around 25mph and only increase the rpm limit if that is not fast enough after you drive it.

Most torque motors develop their peak torque at very low rpms and the torque drops very quickly as the rpm increases.
I was aware that motors, as opposed to engines, have much better torque at lower RPMs. Just was not sure about loss of torque at higher RPMs.

I'll follow your advice. Once again, thank you for your expertise Sergio!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car