lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
SLSettles
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Anyone using a shunt ammeter?

Hey guys, long time lurker and dreamer... recent Precedent buyer! I'm a long time RVer and know the importance of battery maintenance. One of the best tools I ever bought for my RV to help with battery monitoring and maintenance is my Bogart Trimetric shunt ammeter. The shunt allows the meter to accurately track current in and out and can reliably state how much charge is left... way better than the silly voltmeter installed on my cart. I was just wondering if folk in the carting world use such meters or is it overkill in a "non-critical" application like carting (as opposed to running a fridge full of food, for instance... not banging on carting!).

BTW - The previous owner must have tweaked this cart a bit, clocked it at 31mph on the flats. I know that's nothing to some of you guys but its 6 over the speed limit everywhere I'll ever drive it! Fun stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1725.jpg (125.3 KB, 0 views)
SLSettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Anyone using a shunt ammeter?

A stock cart would only run about 14mph.
31mph is pushing the limits of "Highly Modified" for a golf cart. It takes quite a bit of "tweaking" to get that speed and be reliable.

Get under it and take a look at your controller, and your motor, and find out exactly what's in it.

Yes, several people here have shunt battery monitoring systems. I forget the name exactly but its a very versatile and handy system. I'm sure some of them will chime in soon.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

There are several of us that use this https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-700
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
SLSettles
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Oooh! That's snazzy! I like the bluetooth control, and it's the same price as my (much clunkier) Bogart. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
SLSettles
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
A stock cart would only run about 14mph.
31mph is pushing the limits of "Highly Modified" for a golf cart. It takes quite a bit of "tweaking" to get that speed and be reliable.

Get under it and take a look at your controller, and your motor, and find out exactly what's in it.
It does surge at low speeds and doesn't like coasting at all, both I assume are the results of trying to push for higher speeds. Yep, I'll definitely be diving in for a closer look once we get back down to FL. We are buying a house in a golf-cart-friendly community but don't close until August... but we bought the cart already! Mom lives in the same development and she's keeping it exercised for me.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Depends what controller is in it and what else was done do it, but with the advice of the Electric cart gurus here that can be made smooth as butter.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car