lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #1
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Precedent front shocks - are they bad?

I noticed that one front shock does not have uniform resistance when fully extending / retracting it off the cart.

It has areas of travel that have essentially no resistance, then "normal" resistance etc...

If you articulate it a number of times stop to stop, sometimes the whole travel is OK, sometimes it "slips" for an inch or so of travel.

I ordered some generic replacements - they were horrible in the same way as described above - junk. Returned those. Ordered some others from a different source (and they are different parts), and one of the set of 2 is pretty decent, but not great. Probably a little better than the stock one I thought was "bad".

Is the quality on these just that bad, am I expecting too much, or have I somehow gotten 2 poor batches of replacements?

My factory originals (Monroes) are only 2 years old and should not be bad, but with the slippage in the damped travel that comes and goes, I thought that could be contributing to my fairly harsh ride.

It seems that these should extend and retract all the way with equal resistance the whole travel, every single time you compress or extend it. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I did a quick experiment - turning the shocks upside down (piston shaft pointed down) and it seems, so far, that after actuating a number of times it works reliably in this orientation. Flipping it back around, letting it sit for awhile and re-testing shows same inconsistent results. You always see these with piston shaft up, but besides gravity trying to help drain the oil through the shaft seal, is there any downside to reversing the vertical orientation of these things? My test is far from scientific, but so far there has been no "slipping" if the one I'm testing is upside down.

Any thoughts on the matter, or source for quality replacements?
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Precedent front shocks - are they bad?

It certainly sounds like they are faulty. Get OEM units here from David at RGC, a site sponsor: https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...o-onward-front
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car