lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
GreenAppleES
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 2006 CC Precedent - Accidently died

Hey folks, new to this forum - lots of great support.

I searched serial # and my unit is a 2006 Club Car Precedent Proffessional.

I just bought the cart used from a golf course in my area. I drove it for 2 weeks, worked great.

I purchased an Midnight Solar brand 48V meter in and mounted center above the steering column. I just bump tested the POS and NEG leads to the battery as its a new toy and wanted to see how it powers up and works. Quick bump test using my thumbs against the posts of the battery bank. It made a small spark. No incorrect contacts, no wires were shorted, no nasty spark. After this bump test, the unit won't move.

So... jump ahead here.

I searched on this forum, reviewed several types of CC wiring diagrams and did some testing.

¤ Cart now doesn't move in either FOR or REV.
¤ No buzzer in reverse.
¤ The Tow/Run switch is getting power 48V in and out.
¤ I'm reading bank voltage to the common pole of the F/R rocker switch. Power continues out of both F & R positions.
¤ I'm not getting 48V to the key switch.

¤ I bumbed the solenoid with 48V, it changes state. The power poles of the solenoid have 51.45V on both sides though - weird. Seems to be sticking closed. When I put the switch in tow, the one pole bleeds down to 50.0V and stays there. With the switch in RUN, the other pole goes back up to bank voltage of 51.45. For sure the solenoid clicks, pretty obvious with the voltage to the coil poles. The negative isn't closing the circuit to the coil NEG term when I applied 48V to the positive coil terminal alone.
¤ The cart charges fine. The charger ramps up to about 10.5A.
¤I can only find 1 x 15A fuse near in the center console compartment, comes from the main wiring harness in the 3/4" PVC flex conduit.
¤ I tried resetting the OBC using the few methods, I didn't hear the buzzer go off. Yes the buzzer worked every time before.
¤ I never noticed any intermittent issues before. The unit drove very consistent throughout the pedal position FOR and REV.
¤ I do not have 48V on the light blue wire coming from the OBC.

This only happened after I bumbed the Midnight Solar battery meter to see it power up. It was not in TOW mode. I understand this could have damaged the OBC. The fact the OBC is not resetting, tells me its pooched.

My unit seems to be the REG 2 unit, as it has only one solenoid. I can only find 1 fuse. It's good, tested continuity and power afterwards - all good.

I understand the OBC is not only charge control, but can lock out the operation of the unit.

I want to determine if that is the culprit and I'll order a new one? Is there a way to bypass?

This just happened Thursday night.

Thanks
Jared
GreenAppleES is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 CC Precedent - Accidently died

That is an IQ cart, not a Regen 2 cart. They have been gone well before your cart.

You have blown a fuse to take the power away from the switch. We have to see where you have lost it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Look at this print and follow the key switch back to the power supply coming from the solenoid. You can start at the red wire coming from the Battery side of the solenoid. It runs to the Run/Tow switch, then the key after traveling thru all the sonic welds, switches, and fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_Precedent_IQ.jpg (1.30 MB, 0 views)
Old 05-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
GreenAppleES
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy Re: 2006 CC Precedent - Accidently died

I have 52V of power going out from the Tow/Run switch to that first sonic weld. My cart is a little different from this wiring though. It's factory wiring (not modified - I talked to the golf course maintenance guy and talked about this for help), anyhow the sonic welds are all in heat shrink, all factory original.

¤ From the 15A fuse, I have the PINK, PINK and GRAY in the same sonic weld. These have 52V power.
¤ At the dash where the 9 pin connector is at, the sonic weld has 5 wires. 2 wires incoming from the harness GREEN/RED and PINK. The other end to the dash components has 3 wires - RED, ORANGE and GREEN. This sonic weld has no power. I used lead to puncture through the insulation on all wires.

Is there a secret hidden fuse? I checked for power in the harness connector coming from the main harness of the golf center compartment.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
GreenAppleES
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: 2006 CC Precedent - Accidently died

Wow!

I focused more time on the dashboard, trying to figure out why there wasn't bank power. I looked closer at the connector, that green wire from the sonic had corrosion and the wire was broken. I just spliced it to the other end of the connector and voila!

¤ Cart goes FOR and REV
¤ Buzzer works.

Best part, I even found there to be 2 wires for installing battery meters.

Thanks for your help!

By the way I already made a $ donation for this site.

Jared
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAppleES View Post
Wow!

Thanks for your help!

Jared
Thanks Jared, we appreciate the donation. It helps to pay for the server and operating expenses.

Glad we were able to help and you are back rolling again. Those sonic welds are notorious for being issues, as is corrosion...
Old 05-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAppleES View Post
Welcome to the Gold Stars Club!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
GreenAppleES
Not Yet Wild

The corrosion point was actually at the connector, the contacts are exposed to the elements. Due to the wires being ties with cable ties so nicely, it was not noticeable the wire was broke inside the connector. Once I cut the cable ties, the wire was obviously not makign contact - this was the power source to the dash components.

Cut off the cable ties and inspect!

Cheers!
Jared
Old 05-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
garysmith39555
Getting Wild

Club Car

Just curious....a golf course was still running 14 year old carts?
garysmith39555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Not any more...they sold it to him! :)
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car