lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
vartz04
Getting Wild

Default Re: G19 rear end scraping metallic sound

It's definitely not the bearings. I've driven it maybe 2 miles and the dif fluid looks like silver creamy milk just like before already. I didn't go through any water either

Any easy way to post a vid? Or I can email it to you so you can hear it. Sounds like the motor.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #12
JRL
Gone Wild

You have metal shavings in the lube. Pull the cover and take a look.
Stick a magnet in the lube and see if anything adheres to it. Steel parts stick...aluminum don't. You might be shaving off aluminum?
That said, if you had water in the lube (milky looking) and changed it, probably have to flush with solvent to clear up. That won't make noises. I'd look inside that diff before something grenades. Could be a loose bolt "machining" your pumpkin. That would create silvery fine metalflake appearance.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #13
vartz04
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
You have metal shavings in the lube. Pull the cover and take a look.

Stick a magnet in the lube and see if anything adheres to it. Steel parts stick...aluminum don't. You might be shaving off aluminum?

That said, if you had water in the lube (milky looking) and changed it, probably have to flush with solvent to clear up. That won't make noises. I'd look inside that diff before something grenades. Could be a loose bolt "machining" your pumpkin. That would create silvery fine metalflake appearance.
Yeah I took it off and cleaned everything out before. I'll try again. And clean it out with brake cleaner too before reassembly

Old 04-09-2019, 03:28 AM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Larger letters = better answer! LOL

Change lube (remove pan, not just "out the hole"), fill, drive again.(about 310cc for Dana electric axles). That fluid had water in it at some point. I seen many with giant metal splinters in it, the fluid wasn't "milky" because of nasty wear issues.
Not saying fluid change will solve all issues, it rarely does, but I do know what water in oil looks like. Been at this too long to not know.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #15
vartz04
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Larger letters = better answer! LOL

Change lube (remove pan, not just "out the hole"), fill, drive again.(about 310cc for Dana electric axles). That fluid had water in it at some point. I seen many with giant metal splinters in it, the fluid wasn't "milky" because of nasty wear issues.
Not saying fluid change will solve all issues, it rarely does, but I do know what water in oil looks like. Been at this too long to not know.
I'll take it all apart this week again and flush it with brake clean

The hardest part for me to wrap my head around is it was fine and quiet in October and last week of March it's basically unuseable. What could have happened to it while it was sitting over the winter?

I guess worst case it's a motor and an Input shaft right?

Old 04-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #16
vartz04
Getting Wild

Here is a video of the noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrn2cO7aow8

Old 04-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #17
cgtech

Yamaha

With oil in it? Sounds horrible. But that definitely doesn't help me diagnose. Have a buddy hold the throttle at about 20%, while you use a long screwdriver (blunt end) pressed against your ear to use like stethoscope. Maybe can match up the noise to axle area, or match up rpm. Input shaft area will be highest rpm, final drive will be lowest rpm, with intermediate shaft rpm somewhere in between.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #18
vartz04
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
With oil in it? Sounds horrible. But that definitely doesn't help me diagnose. Have a buddy hold the throttle at about 20%, while you use a long screwdriver (blunt end) pressed against your ear to use like stethoscope. Maybe can match up the noise to axle area, or match up rpm. Input shaft area will be highest rpm, final drive will be lowest rpm, with intermediate shaft rpm somewhere in between.
There is oil in it. Not new stuff yet but that's oil. I've tried that trick before. I'll do it here. Might be easier to pull the motor and then look around.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:38 AM   #19
cgtech

Yamaha

Will need the motor on there. Don't take it off for this test . Listen to the "far end" of the motor too, could be a motor bearing.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #20
JRL
Gone Wild

The cart isn't a 'hurricane' victim? If water has been in the drive for a long time, the bearings are (probably) screwed. Water will usually settle out after sitting. It'll also condense on everything in the gear case. After a days rest, grab a stick light and look inside the fill hole for rust spots. Better even a remote spark plug camera.
The outcome will be interesting.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha