lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #11
w4rwf
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1987 DS rear differential lock

That cable is for the range shifter, there's a shifter arm assembly that mounts on the steering column and a cable that runs from that back to the differential. That is the mechanism to shift your low/high range. There is no locker for the differential. It is limited slip. If you get to getting stuck it will spin both wheels. witnessed it too many times. not sure where you are seeing that it has a selectable locker. it is stating right up front that it is a limited slip differential.

also, not saying it won't fit the op's cart. i don't know that. could very well be that renegade hasn't tried it on a cart older than what they stated they made them for.
w4rwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #12
w4rwf
Getting Wild

Club Car

that system is also 1/2 of a 4wd system. could well be that the axle will fit with no problem but no path to upgrade the front end to accept the front half of the 4wd system. the front half of that system is about another $2500 and it requires the entire front end to be replaced.

all of that is conjecture on my part. however, just the rear end with shipping is gonna be about $1800 or so. i can try to take pics and post tomorrow or Saturday of the mounting on my cart and other aspects of the axle.

if the op's cart would accept a stock axle from a precedent then the renegade axle should work fine.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #13
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check out the install guide here. Clearly states there is a dif lock cable. Shows both the transmission end and the dashboard end.

If you get stuck and BOTH wheels spin, that is normal operation even with a locking dif. Perhaps it's a new feature?
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #14
w4rwf
Getting Wild

Club Car

I stand corrected. that unit is different and must be an upgraded axle from what i have. that was not available as a locking differential at the time i purchased mine. it's been 4 or 5 years since my purchase. i looked at the main page of renegades web site and looks 100% the same as it did when i purchased mine. it even says they are limited slip differentials in their description. the instructions are probably correct although very vague. i would call them and verify before i ever spent the money if the locker is that important
Old 09-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #15
w4rwf
Getting Wild

Club Car

limited slip or locker, as long as both wheels work when it's important.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #16
w4rwf
Getting Wild

Club Car

another thing i will say and that is the button they show for locking the differential used to be shown as the button for engaging the 4wd when you had the front end for that system installed. it was an electrically activated lock in/out that activated the front end when you wanted to engage the 4wd.

Tags
differential, transaxle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car