lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #1
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help with Predator 420cc conversion in 2002 EzGO TXT

Hello all...I am new to golf cart mods, but generally mechanically inclined and need help from your knowledge and experience on this topic! I bought a 2002 ezgo cart that was converted from electric to gas using a GY6 engine (with it's internal FNR gearing) driving the cart's original Dana Spicer transaxle via a jackshaft. It was good for me and my son but after putting on a rear folding seat I found that no matter what I did, the set up would not get the cart moving with all four family members (combined weight approx 500lbs). So here is my plan...HF predator 420cc (picked up with recent 20%off coupon) with a 40 series torque converter and hopefully a FNR gearbox. All of my video watching and forum reading tells me this will do the job, but I need some advice to get me going. Does anyone know where can I find an engine cradle that will properly attach to my Dana transaxle? It looks like the ones from Vegas Carts might not fit due to my cart being an electric conversion...pumkin offset too far to the passenger side. Could the VC (or other manufacturer) cradle be a good starting point requiring a slight mod? Also, does anyone make a FNR gearbox compatible with the 40 series converter? I see many for the TAV2 30 series. I have seen one video of a guy using one with a 40 series on a 420cc and he indicated that it was working well "so far". Can't find a follow-up though. My thought is maybe to give it a try since I'm not going to be racing the thing or doing crazy offroading...just need a reliable neighborhood cruiser. Thanks in advance for any assistance... eager to get this baby rolling again!!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Hopes for a COVID- Free 2021!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 12422.jpeg (134.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 12421.jpeg (113.3 KB, 0 views)
CCGC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Need help with Predator 420cc conversion in 2002 EzGO TXT

Ok, I'll give you my advice on this project. Please keep in mind I mean no disrespect, just trying to help you avoid a "money pit" and from spinning your wheels. Converting an electric cart to gas is very challenging without the right parts.

Here are the three main challenges with your project:
1. drive system - how to get power from the engine to the transmission
2. transaxle - this is an electric cart transaxle which doesn't have the ability to adapt to a CVT or a chain drive system
3. Engine mounting - using a larger 420cc "universal engine"

Drive system - using a chain/belt type go kart drive setup is not ideal for a heavier golf cart that carries more load, especially with a more powerful 420cc engine. This system will ultimately be the weak point in the project, and will likely fail. Can you build a CVT/Chain combination drive system that will work? Sure. But it's not an easy thing to build and the parts need to be over built to be durable. This type of project is sort of "venturing into the land of the unknown" so to speak, and you really can't be sure how it's going to work out.

Gearing - with this type of drive system you will need to get the gearing spot on. Parts availability, space, and money all play a big role here. If you don't get this right, you won't be happy with the performance.

Parts - the series 40 drive clutch and other "variator" parts that go with it are good parts for go karts, but are not designed for heavier golf carts with bigger engines. These parts will possibly be a point of failure.

Engine - believe it or not, this is the easiest part of your project. Mounting that engine is a piece of cake, provided you have the tools and ability to fabricate a little bit. You can get a "universal mount" for $20 and then weld that into the factory engine cradle with some steel angle and flat bar. It's not a job for someone who had never welded, however. If you use a factory ezgo swingarm and engine mount setup, you should be able to get a bolt in engine mount.

The right solution: simply install an Ezgo gas cart transaxle and use a factory Ezgo CVT drive system. Done. It will mostly bolt in with very little fabrication. The gearing will be correct. Parts will be easier to source. Diagnosis of problems will be easier. The cart will run like it's supposed to.

I'm not saying that what you are into is not possible. But at some point there is the "law of diminishing returns". You might get so deep into converting the drive system that the time and effort you spend on it will yield an end product that you will likely not be happy with. Sometimes adding a little money to the project will make a big difference. I say spend the money on a stock Ezgo drive system and transaxle.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Slonomo...no offense taken at all...gives me more/different perspective and it is not hitting deaf ears. It would be nice to have a gas rear end...easy answer to reverse plus having the pumpkin centered :) However, the inspiration to go this route was gained from the project by carsandcameras "electric to gas conversion / 420cc street legal golf cart build" on You Tube. It looks like they pulled it off. Have you seen it?
Old 12-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the double tap!!! Don't know how to delete it...
Old 12-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

No I haven't seen it. But as I said, it's entirely possible to do what you're trying to do. I'm just not sure how durable or how smooth it will be. Chains and gears are not nearly as smooth and efficient as a belt drive. Some may argue. It just seems like a lot of "engineering" to get the job done. But, maybe you're a guy that likes the challenge, I totally can relate to that. It's definitely doable.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
xjosh
Not Yet Wild

I’m in the middle of bringing a basket-case electric to gas EZGO conversion back to life.

Previous owner had the electric transaxle, no provision for reverse, chain drive, etc. He had a reasonable concept of a homemade engine cradle in there, and it could have worked.

After mulling the options, I set upon sourcing a gas axle. Took me a couple weeks but I got one for about $400 all said and done. I’m now building around that with Vegas Carts cradle.

I agree, you can do it without the axle, as I discovered in my research. Maybe I’ll wish I did as I’m not done yet. :) But I didn’t like the complications of the FNR box and custom fab for mounting all that. I feel like doing it this way is a bit more reliable and probably about a wash in terms of time and money combined.
xjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

xjosh...good luck on yours! After a search for a gas rear came up dry (slonomo had something but I could not make the logistics work...thanks again slonomo) I am giving the electric rear a go using the cpp cradle. I lined it up and think with one cut and drilling two extra bolt holes I can get it where I need it to be utilizing the inner two leaf spring bolts on the passenger side as part of the mounting to the axle. Still keeping eyes and ears open for a gas rear in case my efforts turn to poo, so if you happen to come across another one please PM me :) When I get into it I'll post pics...do the same with yours.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Well good luck, I'll chime in if I think I can help you. The gas transaxle are in high demand, but you might get lucky, never know.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
CCGC2004
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all! Hope to get started this weekend :) One question I do have out of the gate is how to wire the 420 predator up to the cart. Instructions with pictures would be nice but can't find any! Found some lifan instruction conversations in another thread but doesn't help me much. I do want to relocate the elect start to the key switch already in the cart but not sure if I should just pull all the GY6 wiring and start fresh, or try to utilize some of what is already there like the elect fuel pump.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I think you'll want to start fresh. In fact, your golf cart wiring really isn't needed, other than lights or accessories. Trying to mix golf cart wiring, gy6 wiring, and predator wiring just sounds like a nightmare. When I do an engine swap I always install new wiring with fuses for everything.

The Predator engine only needs a few wires, pretty simple really. 12v to ignition switch, 12v to rectifier/stator, ground to kill the ignition, 12v starter wire, ignition starter wire to solenoid, battery ground wire to engine mount bolt.

Most ignition switches will have provisions for what you need. I typically use a "Briggs style" tractor switch, available at most auto parts stores. They will come with a wiring diagram.

Here's Shepards thread on the key switch and wiring
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...wiring+diagram

Tags
420cc, ezgo, mount, predator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps