lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #1
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO DCS txt won't go forward

I have only experience in series carts. So this is new to me.
Yesterday I bought a 1998 ezgo txt DCS with the hockey puck f&r switch for $400. The guy said it wasn't running. He put new Trojans in it thinking the batteries were the issue. Didn't fix it and he just wanted it gone so I could not pass up a deal like that. (He even threw in a brand new rear seat kit still in the box and the top as well! So major win here!!) Well today I started tearing into it. The pedal box throttle switch tested good. So I changed the solenoid out to a new 400amp one I had laying around. It fixed it! The cart now runs. BUT..not in forwards, only reverse. I read in other threads to switch the f1 and f2 wires on the controller around. Well I did that and it goes forward now (with reverse selected). And doesn't do anything when forward is selected. And I have no reverse now. Is the controller the issue? I read these dcs controllers suck. I pulled the 10 pin connector out and it looks good. No signs of heat anywhere on the controller or terminals.

I'm thinking of putting an Alltrax 500 amp and 2g cables from scottyb in. Just want to be sure first that the controller is likely the issue here. Also the cart is pretty slow. Maybe 10mph at most. So I'm really leaning towards putting the alltrax in but just want some opinions first on what may be wrong. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211108-173537_Messages.jpg (128.0 KB, 0 views)
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO DCS txt won't go forward

The DCS controller defaults to forward and has to be told to do reverse.

The hockey puck F/R assembly has two microswitchs whose levers are pressed by protrusions on the circumference of the cam (hockey puck). One switch is "RUN" and the other is "REVERSE" . In Forward only the Run switch is closed and in Reverse both switches are closed.

Apparently, the Run switch closes when in Reverse, but not when in Forward. Maybe the cam is no rotating far enough when Forward is selected.

Attached are pictures of cam and switches in Forward, Neutral and Reverse.

------------
BTW: The F/R can be replaced with a DPDT (on-off-on) toggle switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forward.jpg (181.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg neutral.jpg (169.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg reverse.jpg (172.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
FatBusting
Not Yet Wild

I'm pretty sure it is NOT the controller. The controller sends energy to the forward/reverse switch, where it is the job of the switch to direct the energy to one or the other cable to move the cart forward or reverse.

It sounds like your saying the forward connection of the forward/reverse switch is bad. I like using a voltage probe meter/tester, but a multimeter would work fine. Measure for voltage coming out of the forward part of the connector.

When carts sit, things entropy. Try banging the switch back and forth and see you you can clean up the connection. My guess is there is tarnish or trash buggering up the switch. Banging it back and forth a couple dozen times might clear up the problem. New switches are about $100 on amazon.

Listen for the solenoid click in forward verses reverse. There is a microswitch the forward/reverse activate and in the middle position it doesn't. If the microswitch is working, you should hear the same click in the solenoid in the forward position and revers. If you don't hear the click in forward, look at the microswitch and be sure the mechanism is rotating all the way to make contact with the switch.

For the slow speed, clean with sandpaper off of the big wire contacts, like the battery cables, interconnects, motor connections, reverse connections. I had one that moved 2mph, but after cleaning the battery connections, it zipped along great.

With old batteries, take the cart on a 10 minute drive, then using a multimeter measure the positive to negative of every individual battery, just as soon as you stop the cart. They should all read about the same value (plus or minus .1v). If you have a bad battery, it will be a .5 volt or more lower than the rest. The string of batteries is only as good as the weakest. Today I tested a cart and all the batteries were 6.3 (ish) and the other was 4.5v. If you don't test it right away, the bad battery will rise up and drag the others down till overnight they will have similar readings.
FatBusting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBusting View Post
I'm pretty sure it is NOT the controller. The controller sends energy to the forward/reverse switch, where it is the job of the switch to direct the energy to one or the other cable to move the cart forward or reverse.

It sounds like your saying the forward connection of the forward/reverse switch is bad. I like using a voltage probe meter/tester, but a multimeter would work fine. Measure for voltage coming out of the forward part of the connector.

When carts sit, things entropy. Try banging the switch back and forth and see you you can clean up the connection. My guess is there is tarnish or trash buggering up the switch. Banging it back and forth a couple dozen times might clear up the problem. New switches are about $100 on amazon.

Listen for the solenoid click in forward verses reverse. There is a microswitch the forward/reverse activate and in the middle position it doesn't. If the microswitch is working, you should hear the same click in the solenoid in the forward position and revers. If you don't hear the click in forward, look at the microswitch and be sure the mechanism is rotating all the way to make contact with the switch.

For the slow speed, clean with sandpaper off of the big wire contacts, like the battery cables, interconnects, motor connections, reverse connections. I had one that moved 2mph, but after cleaning the battery connections, it zipped along great.

With old batteries, take the cart on a 10 minute drive, then using a multimeter measure the positive to negative of every individual battery, just as soon as you stop the cart. They should all read about the same value (plus or minus .1v). If you have a bad battery, it will be a .5 volt or more lower than the rest. The string of batteries is only as good as the weakest. Today I tested a cart and all the batteries were 6.3 (ish) and the other was 4.5v. If you don't test it right away, the bad battery will rise up and drag the others down till overnight they will have similar readings.
Please learn how the various drive types work before trying to troubleshoot a series drive when the original poster has a problem with a sepex drive.

A sepex controller does control cart direction.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:11 PM   #5
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks to both of you. Even though he was giving advice for a series cart I still took some of it. Played with the f&r a bit and make sure there was nothing in the way causing the microswitches to not activate with the puck. Both forward and reverse activate fully as I hear the solenoid click the same way on each one when the pedal is pressed. I even manually pressed them down with my finger to make sure they were activating fully. Same result. In reverse, it goes backwards fine. In forward, it shutters backwards really slowly and then stops. Solenoid clicks as should. Just can't get the thing to go forward unless I swap the wires coming out of the controller. But then I lose reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211108_204847~2.jpg (233.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211108_204857~2.jpg (224.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211108_204907~2.jpg (235.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #6
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

After some digging through the archives. Found this post by scottyb.. I think this may be what is happening to mine. For now I swapped the two wires so that I can have full time forward.

"The DCS controller has 2 sides, forward and reverse. Each side is a separate controller. Typically forward fails first because it is used much more than reverse and the control defaults to to the reverse side.
Swap the F1 and F2 wires on the controller to have forward with no reverse until a replacement controller can be secured."
Old 11-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the solenoid is clicking in both directions, then the controller is bad. (Or at least the low power output to the field winding is.)

The DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) is a high failure item. Replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If the solenoid is clicking in both directions, then the controller is bad. (Or at least the low power output to the field winding is.)

The DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) is a high failure item. Replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS.
Awesome I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. Why the 400 over the 500?
Old 11-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubK View Post
Awesome I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. Why the 400 over the 500?
Middle ground. Stock controller equivalent is 300A and not many motors can draw 500A, but overkill is underrated.

I usually say XCT48400 or larger. No reason other than $$$ not to go with the XCT48500-DCS, but the difference isn't all that much since the 500A comes with the fan and it is an option on the 400A version.

If the XCT48500-PDS had been available when I upgrades to an XCT, I would have gone that route. On the other hand, the 400A passes 460A in peak amp mode and the max I've been able to get my aftermarket motor to draw is a little over 400A when accelerating from a standstill on a steep incline, so the 400A is all I actually need with my setup.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:38 PM   #10
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for your input. Just splurged and ordered the xct500 amp from carts unlimited. I'll post the result once I get everything in as well as new cables! Thanks again

Tags
dcs, ezgo, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO