lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Strange G16 fuel starvation issue

2001 G16 brought in, hadn't run in years. Guy bought it cheap. Needed ignition coil, battery, tune up / oil change, cleaned out tank & fresh fuel. Runs greats- for a couple minutes then stalls. If you keep cranking it sputters & has that lean burn smell. Then after cranking 10 to 15 seconds it seems to "catch up" and runs great - smooth & good power for another couple minutes till it stalls again. Cleaned the existing carb - made no difference. Tried a different carb - made no difference. replaced all the hoses, including the pick up tube in the tank - made no difference. Tried an electric low pressure pump - no difference. Through all attempts it continues to have spark while it cranks. Any suggestions?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
Nhjohnny1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Strange G16 fuel starvation issue

Just a thought but the coil could possibly be defective, especially if it’s a Chinese knock off.
Nhjohnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:17 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Finally got back to this one & figured it out. There was some type of restriction in the muffler. I have to say I've never experienced such a thing in a 4 stroke cart. Doesn't smoke or use oil. No external signs of damage. Near as I can figure it would build back pressure as it ran until it wasn't able to draw fresh air/fuel into the cylinder. Once it blend off that back pressure it would run just great again, until the next event. Swapped in a muffler off another cart and the problem is gone.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:09 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Had this happen several times at the lake on different carts.
Mud dobbers love to build in the tailpipe of the carts there and have the same thing happen.
Glad you got'er figured out.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
2000yamahag16
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

i have a 98 yamaha g16 with a hesitation when gas pedal is pushed to the floor but it runs great other wise if i ease into the pedal it will not hesitat ..... i have built a brand new g16 motor in it everything is new and the correct parts for 98 yamaha g16
2000yamahag16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:24 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000yamahag16 View Post
i have a 98 yamaha g16 with a hesitation when gas pedal is pushed to the floor but it runs great other wise if i ease into the pedal it will not hesitat ..... i have built a brand new g16 motor in it everything is new and the correct parts for 98 yamaha g16
That sounds more like carb / throttle / governor adjustment.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

leaking air box or carb needs a good carb cleaning/soaking to remove varnish build up
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha