lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2022, 02:37 AM   #1
JSG
Not Yet Wild

Default Reverse turns over but won’t start

My G1 golf cart works fine but when in reverse it cranks over but won’t start up
any help would be appreciated
Thanks
JSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Reverse turns over but won’t start

First things first…. Are you getting spark in reverse?
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
JSG
Not Yet Wild

No spark in reverse
Thanks for your reply
Old 01-13-2022, 08:09 PM   #4
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Listen to AGELE55, he helped me with similar issue and several others lol. I'm getting ready to get back on my project 83 model G1,lol
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
Listen to AGELE55, he helped me with similar issue and several others lol. I'm getting ready to get back on my project 83 model G1,lol
Hey Tennbamaman! I was just wondering a while back, whatever happened to you & your kamakazi G1…. Lol
Old 01-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSG View Post
No spark in reverse
Thanks for your reply
Ok, assuming that it has no spark in reverse (REV) but works ok in forward (FWD):

12 volts is applied to the ignition switch via the Red wire at all times directly from the battery. This 12v is routed through the ignition switch to either the white with red stripe wire (W/R) to go FWD, or to the white with a green stripe (W/G) for Reverse. This voltage excites the CDI & magneto coils to create spark as the flywheel spins around.
If you’re knowledgeable in the use of a multimeter or similar continuity tester,
Test the W/G wire as follows:
1). Continuity through the ignition switch from Red to W/G while in the REV position. No continuity = bad switch.
2). Continuity from the ignition switch plug W/G wire to the CDI and then the Magneto plug W/G wires. No continuity = bad wire, most likely at the splice connection.
I’ll upload a pic for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 24EC4350-5849-4ABB-BC02-E991870475B5.jpeg (80.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Oh…BTW…. I assume it’s a G1A or A2,4, or 5. G1A3’s are slightly different, but this part should be the same.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:48 PM   #8
JSG
Not Yet Wild

Ageless thanks sooo much for your help it was the ignition switch I was thinking along the lines of the magneto you were spot on!!
I live in a small town on the west coast of Australia the golf club I’m involved with has a few of these buggies lying around and not going so well
Another one goes but spasmodically blows a fuse I was thinking along the lines of the brushes and dusty commutator what do you think??
Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #9
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSG View Post
Ageless thanks sooo much for your help it was the ignition switch I was thinking along the lines of the magneto you were spot on!!
I live in a small town on the west coast of Australia the golf club I’m involved with has a few of these buggies lying around and not going so well
Another one goes but spasmodically blows a fuse I was thinking along the lines of the brushes and dusty commutator what do you think??
Thanks again for your help!
Glad to help! Gotta keep the relics running

As for your spasmodic fuse blower, I assume you mean it blows intermittently while driving? If so, get ready for a bad answer…. The blown fuse could be caused by (in no particular order of probability), …wiring chafe, ignition switch, magneto, CDI, pedal switch, relay, Voltage regulator, Starter generator, or solenoid. And of course the backup buzzer if it only does it in REV…lol. Easy Peasy right?
I’d start by eliminating components. If you can duplicate the issue with the rear end jacked up and running the engine, that would simplify it a bit…? While reving it up, push, pull, tug, and wiggle any wire you can. Crude, but sometimes effective to isolate a chafing wire. If no joy there, swap the easy access parts with a known good cart- CDI, Relay, & Voltage regulator. If no joy there, swap the two solenoids around with each other. If the FWD solenoid is intermittently failing, give it an easier life over on the REV side.
After that, yeah… could be the pedal switch, ignition switch, Magneto, or Starter Generator. That’s where your grungy brushes theory comes in to play. Far flung culprit would be the ignition coil..
Personally, I’d lean toward a voltage regulator…. Just a hunch with zero evidence.
This is what you get when you power literally everything on the cart through a single fuse.
Good luck, we’re counting on you.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:00 PM   #10
JSG
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Reverse turns over but won’t start

Thanks again mate did try the voltage regulator not that so will keep searching yeah it’s good to see the relics up and firing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha