lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #41
jkeisel
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: getting ready to start 36v to 48v conv????

Gentlemen,

I have a few more questions before I start my conversion next week.
Here are the facts...The cart is a late 80's model club car. I have added a Jake's 6" spindle lift and 23" tires. I have also added new HD springs. After buying all components to upgrade to 48v I have some extra money left for this project and these are some areas I would like to focus on.

The brakes are very limited so I know I need to either update or upgrade...any suggestions?

The suspension is 20+ years old and I would like to update as well, I will soon be moving at 20mph through the woods and dont want to get totally beat to death....any suggestions?

One of the shock mounts has broken at the weld and is no longer connected to the frame...Any suggestions on a fix for this little prob?

I will be putting in 6 new 8 volt batt.s for 48v upgrade and currently have 2 12v aftermarket lights on cart, can these be run off 2 of new 8v batts like I previously did with the 6v batts? If so does it matter where in the pack I connect them? If not should I add a extra 12v batt to cart just for lights?

Lastly, should I fab some kind of protection component for all the new parts I will be putting under the cart, to protect them from water and mud. I will be putting in alltrax 4865, 400a hd seleniod, curtis pb6.

Thanks to everyone again for all the help.....
It is TRULY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jkeisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #42
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

" will be putting in 6 new 8 volt batt.s for 48v upgrade and currently have 2 12v aftermarket lights on cart, can these be run off 2 of new 8v batts like I previously did with the 6v batts? If so does it matter where in the pack I connect them? If not should I add a extra 12v batt to cart just for lights?"

No any 2 will work, pick/move to 2 different ones every Jan 2nd. , to keep from wearing out just 2.

OK I got lazy , let me eloberate ,
as long as all you are running then using batteries is OK (fuse the connection).
When you start adding other components (spot lights, radios ...etc) then it's best to go to the 48v-12v reducers.
The 16v - 12v reducers are a wast of time and $$.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #43
jkeisel
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

No any 2 will work, pick/move to 2 different ones every Jan 2nd. , to keep from wearing out just 2.

Thanks for the help GLEEMO!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #44
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

NP, just keep us updated with pictures and results,
we love pictures !

Thanks scottyB !!!
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #45
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

jkeisel

Check out Jake's front disk brake kit, I am adding this to my cart. Make sure you have the newer Jake's spindles that are drilled to accept these. You will see six little holes drilled and tapped in the the spindle behind the wheel. Great stopping power. These run about $380.00.

To fix your shock mount I suggest you find a welder who can fix this right. You could try and fab something yourself but in the long run this is not the best thing to do. Just have it re-welded.

Get yourself a good voltage reducer, 48 volt to 12 volt, that way you are pulling juice of all 6 batteries and you don't un-equalize your battery pack. I picked up a nice one from 3R (site sponsor) and I love it.

Last, mount all you components up high as possible to keep them from getting wet or muddy. I mounted all my electrical components on bracets i fabbed from aluminum angle from Home Depot. I mounted the solenoid, controller, voltage reducer, and on-board charger together behind the batteries. I will try and follow up with a picture of this.
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #46
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

My Build PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More in next post.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02423b.JPG (48.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02424b.JPG (40.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02425b.JPG (62.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02426b.JPG (51.4 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02427b.JPG (51.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #47
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

More PICS!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02428b.JPG (85.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02429b.JPG (75.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #48
jkeisel
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

impalss88,
Thanks for the pics and advice!!!!!
I will check my lift for the holes.
If I do the front brakes do you think I should also replace the rear brakes as well?
What kind of on board charger did you go with?
Is it a fully auto?
I still need to purchase a new charger so any info you have would be great!!!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #49
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeisel View Post
impalss88,
Thanks for the pics and advice!!!!!
I will check my lift for the holes.
If I do the front brakes do you think I should also replace the rear brakes as well?
What kind of on board charger did you go with?
Is it a fully auto?
I still need to purchase a new charger so any info you have would be great!!!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!
If you do the front brakes you shouldn't have to do anything to the back, I'm not. You could check your pads to see if they are wore out but I kind of doubt it. These Jake's front brakes are hydraulic and can stop your cart all by themselves without back brakes so i wouldn't be too concerned unless the back brakes don't work at all...

I went with a Delta-Q onboard 48 volt charger. These are the best. It is fully automatic and you can leave them plugged in all the time and they will constantly monitor your batteries. They are a high frequency charger and they use less electricity than a standard ferro-resonant transformer charger. They are over 80% efficient and they will de-sulfate your batteries at the end charge. They also are lightweight, less than 10 pounds. I have an extra one that I am debating on selling. I bought 2, one for mine and one for a friend, and now he might be backing out. These are not cheap though, they usually sell for around $500.00. Would you be interested if he doesn't come through with the money? I paid $400.00 because I bought two. It is brand new.

Let me know if you need any other help or more pics. I am always glad to help in anyway.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #50
jkeisel
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Impalass88,

I might be inerested in the charger, I want to do a little research but keep me posted.
If your buddy falls through shoot me an email and let me know.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car