lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
slick_rick_12
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha g1 takes to long to start

I have a yamaha g1 utility cart that I recently got running by replacing the fuel pump but the problem is that I have to choke it for about 30-45 seconds to get it started. I have read on here that muffler back can cause slow starting so I am planning a muffler bbq so I have the muffler off and I weighed it and is 25 pounds so I was wondering if that is a normal weight for it? I also hear that this could be the crank seals I was wondering what is the best way to test this? Also if you have any other thoughts on why this slow starting could be happening I would love to hear it! Thanks
slick_rick_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha g1 takes to long to start

Dirty low speed jets in the carb can cause hard starting.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
ewbldavis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My advice is do the crank seals. Ours ran well, but didn't want to start easily. Crank seals fixed it to the point the thing will now idle. Crank seals certainly won't hurt the performance, and likely need done anyway.

Also, a BBQ may help, along with the obvious tune up.
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The G1 is one of the simplest engines out there. The WILL run with low compression, just might be hard to start and low power. The best thing to do with a 2 stroke engine is remove it from the cart and rebuild it. If it's a cart that you want to be around for a long time, you'll be much happier. At that point you may also want to buy a new carb. The carb butterfly shaft is notorious for wearing out on these and will cause extra air to enter the carb, causing a lean condition, and hard starts and poor performance. It's not a cheap project, but if you want that baby to run properly, sometimes you have to pony up. I had two engines for mine, both ran, both ran poorly and started slow with low power. I decided to rebuild one, and man what a difference! Just a set of rings, a quick hone to deglaze the cylinder, a set of gaskets, new seals, and a new carb will go a long way for you. It's possible that just the seals will remedy the starting condition, but it also could be partly from the carb. But if you spend a couple hundred bucks on the rebuild parts you'll be glad you did.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can look for oil seeping from the crank seals first, you can spray carb cleaner/wd40 on them while running and see if it changes rpm. Have to take the shroud off to get to the flywheel side. 2 stroke only has compression half the stroke so good ring sealing is very important and why a rebuild of the top end is more important. It tends to be cheaper to rebuild than a 4 stroke. Cut the head some to make it run a little better than stock as stock compression is very low for substandard golf course fuel. G1 have good power but most are worn out, they run very nice when in proper order. Can also be piston damage and/or bad reeds causing this.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting, yamaha g1
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha