lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
classycarts
Gone Wild

Default Max rpm of a cc starter/gen

Anyone know the max rpm of a starter/gen? Before it creates so much heat it melts the solder in the armature and blows the brushes out of the brush holder? And melts the small braided ground wire by dip stick in half.

4 starters total so far and they have only lasted about a mile until this happens.

CC 8 pass Villager. Key start. Last one I installed and tested after I went over the wiring diagram made sure all wires went to where they were suppose to. Also installed a new volt reg.. Checked starter ground. Which grounds to same bolt on frame as battery ground and it's good.

Today I rode with the customer on a test drive and made it about 2 miles. Foot to the floor. Now the rpm limiter is disconnected and I told the customer beforehand thats not a good thing. I'm really surprised the engine didn't blow before the starter locked up. I actually thought it was the engine at first when it quit. I expected to see oil and a hole in the block.

But anyway, anyone have any ideas what could cause the starter/gen to do this?
classycarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Max rpm of a cc starter/gen

Hi Daryl!

I'll guess that these are aftermarket S/G's? If so... they can't handle it!
I've pushed my OEM S/G to 5500 (if not more)... and it still works flawlessly!
Sadly, the OEM's are 3 times the cost... but it beats replacing it every day!
you might also consider adding an additional ground wire from the engine to the frame. (No harm, no foul!)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
classycarts
Gone Wild

Hey Lock!! Yes aftermarket. Never had a problem with any until this cart.

Just installed a new starter and ran a couple temperature tests. Villager was 300*F on the brush end cap. Ran a same test on a stock club car temp was 90*F. Both were run the same distance and checked.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by classycarts View Post
Just installed a new starter and ran a couple temperature tests. Villager was 300*F on the brush end cap. Ran a same test on a stock club car temp was 90*F. Both were run the same distance and checked.
Swap S/G between the carts. That will tell you if it is S/G or something on the cart.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
classycarts
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR View Post
Swap S/G between the carts. That will tell you if it is S/G or something on the cart.
I believe this problem has to do with something on the cart. I had checked the one I had installed Friday (the one that just burned up) and it was getting hot also.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car