lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2018, 10:31 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 91 Gas CarryAll II

Thats good news! And No, if the valve is closed you should not be able to turn it. If you can you need to inspect or replace the valve springs. I'd lap the valves while the head is off just to make sure they're seating right. If so, springs dont have enough tension to keep them closed, they may be bent, or the seats themselves may be worn
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #12
Club91car
Not Yet Wild

Hi All,
Been awhile since I last posted. But never was able to get the cart running. I opted to have the cylinder bored and installed an oversized piston. Adjusted the new valves I put in. New gaskets. Still no luck. Gas is getting to the cylinder and I have spark. Compression seems to be really low yet. Anything else I can try? I did oil the rings and cylinder wall before reassembling. The wall was also honed.
Thanks
I’m out of ideas.
Club91car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Did the machine shop have the piston and rings when they bored the cylinder? If so theres no reason you should have low compression. What kind of compression numbers are you seeing?
Old 01-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
tony357
Not Yet Wild

sounds like valve lash may be too tight. or valves are leaking. If you can find someone with a leak down tester and test it. or buy one there not overly expensive.
tony357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Could be a lot of things. Valve lash too tight, incorrect valve timing, valves are not properly lapped to the seats.

What was your ring gap clearance? How much over was it machined? Did you check piston side clearance without rings installed before reassembling?
Did you install a new ignition coil? Was it an OEM Kawasaki coil? What about the igniter? Set the coil air gap at .012”?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #16
Club91car
Not Yet Wild

Hi All,
Yes, piston and rings were given to machinist who did the bore job. Has spark, I can see with the inline tester. Compression I’m getting with my tester is about 50lbs, but my tester is a cheap one. I did grind the new valve ends according to specs. I will check into the leak down tester.

Thanks all
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

50psi is way way low. Assuming the machine shop did their work right, I would check the head and valves carefully. Check valve lash, if too tight they wont close all the way and you'll lose compression. For testing purposes it's better to have a little on the loose side than too tight.

Also possible you're a tooth off between the cam and crank gears.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #18
Club91car
Not Yet Wild

So I picked up a leak down tester. As I was setting things up I noticed that the piston is not rising in the cylinder on the compression stroke. I have the valve cover off and can see the intake open (piston down on intake) and exhaust open (piston rising on exhaust). What’s my next step?
Thanks for all the help/advice.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #19
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Not following here. Is the piston movement out of time or is it not going up all the way?

There should be marks on the camshaft and crankshaft gears that need to be aligned when the camshaft is installed so they are in correct time.

Is this the flat head KF-82 motor, or the overhead valve FE290?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #20
Club91car
Not Yet Wild

This is a flat head. Piston is not making it to top dead center on the compression stroke.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car