lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Exploded connecting rod!

Just curious if anyone has seen tis on the Kawasaki FE290/FE350 motor. Just picked up a new toy. Good spark, no compression. Stuck a screwdriver in the plug hole and piston wasnt moving. Pushed a bit and the piston slid down really easily. Hmm guess this motor is coming out. Only thing I could think of is a broken connecting rod.

Couple hours and couple drinks later this is what I found. Connecting rod looks like it exploded. Strange thing is, theres NO evidence of anything else wrong with the motor at all. Cylinder honed clean, no signs of scarring at all. Piston is super clean, no markings of dirt or oil deprivation. The rod is obviously trashed but the crankshaft is even nice and clean. I can't see any reason the rod would have exploded, just curious if anyone else has seen this?

Only thing I can think of is maybe it hydrolocked and blew out the rod but that's just a shot in the dark. I dont see any signs of water in the engine or oil, no rust in the cylinder or rings, etc. This thing has clearly been sitting for a very long time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181120_235510.jpg (317.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20181120_235515.jpg (246.3 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Exploded connecting rod!

Governor wasen't dinked with by any chance? From your pics it looks like the big end came loose first then snapped it's web during the party?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I don't even know where the governor is on this thing, it's on a Gator not a club car. Nothing I can see looks like it was tampered with at all. Doesn't look like it was ever touched after it exploded either. I just put this in the CC forum because it's the same motor, just rotates the opposite direction.

Funny thing is my Carryall has the FE350. Surprised the gator, which is twice the size and weight has a smaller engine. Although, the transmission, clutches, and etc are WAY WAY beefier in the gator. Must make up for the smaller motor with gearing and clutching.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Anopsis
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Whoa, I'm curious to know what caused that as well. I hope you'll keep this thread updated with what you find.
Anopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Will do :) I just ordered all the parts I need... new rod, bolts, rings, seals, etc. Cylinder looks perfect after a quick hone just to deglaze it so I'm gonna put it back together as-is and see what happens. Pretty sure it should be fine.

She needs a considerable amount of work but once it runs, drives, and stops I'll be happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181120_144120.jpg (509.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20181120_144731.jpg (312.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Will do :) I just ordered all the parts I need... new rod, bolts, rings, seals, etc. Cylinder looks perfect after a quick hone just to deglaze it so I'm gonna put it back together as-is and see what happens. Pretty sure it should be fine.

She needs a considerable amount of work but once it runs, drives, and stops I'll be happy.

Onboard tire inflation. Pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Onboard tire inflation. Pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thays a necessary addition. The right rear goes flat within minutes
Old 11-22-2018, 01:50 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I have worked on gators for many years, i only ever saw a rod like that once and my conclusion was that the rod cap bolts had come loose and caused the problem. Same as yours, absolutely no other damage, just installed a new rod and was fine thereafter.

Brakes are internal on these so if you need to replace, its a transaxle strip down to do it. You may be lucky and find it is just the operating arms on the transaxle are jammed up with mud and stuff. word of warning though, dont try doing handbrake turns or you will snap an axle shaft LOL, dont ask how i know that.

He no longer works here!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:27 AM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Had something similar happen one time. Well maintained (my) riding mower with a B&S engine. Rod broke 1/2 way between crank and piston. No reason. Nothing else harmed. Not near rod bearing as yours.

Only thing I could figure is rod was bad/weak from factory. Stuff just happens sometimes.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I have worked on gators for many years, i only ever saw a rod like that once and my conclusion was that the rod cap bolts had come loose and caused the problem. Same as yours, absolutely no other damage, just installed a new rod and was fine thereafter.

Brakes are internal on these so if you need to replace, its a transaxle strip down to do it. You may be lucky and find it is just the operating arms on the transaxle are jammed up with mud and stuff. word of warning though, dont try doing handbrake turns or you will snap an axle shaft LOL, dont ask how i know that.

He no longer works here!
Lol

No the rods move fine. Its definitely internal. There isnt a drop of oil on the transmission dipstick though. I dont know enough about the brakes to know if the need fluid to operate, or if the oil just keeps them cool. I was going to put some fluid in and hope for the best, but planning on the worst.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car