lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Wildcatford
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Pulled Motor.. Need Help Investigating

Howdy, and thanks in advance

I bought a club car carryall back in October. No compression on the cylinder, tried putting oil in the top to see if that would rememdy my situation, but still no worky.

I pulled the motor out, and took the top off to investigate tonight. There was a bunch of carbon build up on the piston, and the valves are solid black. The cylinder wall looks good to me, but maybe I’m wrong. The hour meter has 1,054 hours on it according to the dash.

All that to say, what should I be looking at more specifically as a cause for my non compression issue?

Also, should I be able to push the valves down Towards the piston? I mashed the heck out of them, and cannot move them at all. They seem pretty stuck, but maybe I’m not man enough to force those springs up, or I wasn’t designed to.

2008 Club Car Carryall 2 FE350 clockwise non-acr
Wildcatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Pulled Motor.. Need Help Investigating

FE350 has automatically adjusting valves so no need to worry about that.

Bolt the head back on with push rods installed, and see if the valves move. If so you're probably looking at piston rings. If not, may be the camshaft gear. They are plastic and riveted to the steel camshaft, and occasionally known to fail.

With 0 compression, either is possible.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Wildcatford
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
FE350 has automatically adjusting valves so no need to worry about that.

Bolt the head back on with push rods installed, and see if the valves move. If so you're probably looking at piston rings. If not, may be the camshaft gear. They are plastic and riveted to the steel camshaft, and occasionally known to fail.

With 0 compression, either is possible.
Thinking back, I looked at the rockers before I pulled it, and the valves were not moving
Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Pull the clutch, and side cover and take a good look at the camshaft. I'd bet it's either broken, or the rivets are.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Wildcatford
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Pull the clutch, and side cover and take a good look at the camshaft. I'd bet it's either broken, or the rivets are.
If this is the culprit, does this mean I’ll be needing one of those complete fancy $500 cam shafts?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I'm not sure where you heard $500, but that sounds like a fully inflated dealers list price for one WITH an ACR.

If... IF... the cam is broken, there are better prices out there!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-49...FLZ:rk:15:pf:0

Club Car #102431001
Kawasaki #49118-2142

You could also call and check with David at Revolution Golf Cars!
(A fine BGW sponsor, and a Club Car OEM parts supplier)

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yes, there is no ACR and it shouldnt be anywhere near $500

I did not realize he sold OEM club car or ez-go parts, I'll have to keep that in mind.

And it's not nearly as common as you would think for the cam gear to break, but it does/has happened. But if theres no compression it should be pretty obvious what's wrong once you open the motor up. Fortunately the kawi motor is really well built and easy to work on :)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
Wildcatford
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Heck yeah, thanks for the info. I guess I had the wrong part number. Everything I looked at last night was $400-500.

I’m going to tear the rest of it down tonight and will report back so I’m not one of those notorious ghost-posters. Heck I may even spice it up with a few pictures

Thanks again, and standby! Haha I may still need some help
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatford View Post
Heck yeah, thanks for the info. I guess I had the wrong part number. Everything I looked at last night was $400-500.

I’m going to tear the rest of it down tonight and will report back so I’m not one of those notorious ghost-posters. Heck I may even spice it up with a few pictures

Thanks again, and standby! Haha I may still need some help
Were all happy to help when we can. I rebuilt the 350 in my carryall about 6 months or so ago, and rebuilt the 290 in my gator just a few weeks ago because it had an exploded rod, so it's all still pretty fresh in my head :)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yep, like they said, you need to pull the case cover off and have a look at the camshaft.
I've seen some with stripped gears, and some with all the rivets missing. Either way, pretty much need a new cam shaft when that happens.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car