lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 PM   #1
Bob1717
Not Yet Wild

Default Key ignition

Just picked up a 94 gas ds and was wandering if I can switch the igniton key switch to match my 06 electric ds so I can use the same key in both carts
Bob1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Key ignition

Chances are, unless someone already switched one of them out, the same key will already work in both carts. If not, get an OEM key switch to replace the one that is not OEM and you should be good
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #3
Bob1717
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks key looks different didn’t try them got home late and it was snowing so I left it on the trailer and got home late today I planned on checking it out tmrw when I get it off the trailer and inside before the storm hits here in the Pittsburgh pa area figured I’d get some info before hand but I know the keys look different
Old 01-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
Bob1717
Not Yet Wild

Ok found out the keys are the same
Old 01-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

They usually are. Each manufacturer uses a different key (ezgo, club car) but each has used the same exact key since forever. Golf courses and etc frequently lose keys so a 1 key fits all approach works best.

Many dealers will offer a unique key upgrade to change out the key cylinder with one using a unique key. But most people dont do it because they don't realize or know that every golf cart on the lot uses the exact same key. So its usually a pretty safe bet it hasn't been changed. Though sometimes, you do run into one that someone did change out...
Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Dirty little secret: most of those "unique" keyed locks are far from unique. Many are what they term "uncommon key" which means rather than have exactly the same key as 90% of every other cart of your brand, yours will be the same as the 10% who got the different one.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Dirty little secret: most of those "unique" keyed locks are far from unique. Many are what they term "uncommon key" which means rather than have exactly the same key as 90% of every other cart of your brand, yours will be the same as the 10% who got the different one.
Yes.

Thats why I use ATV keys :) they're cheap, and while still generic, different from what youd find on any golf cart. They're just not as "plug and play"
Old 01-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Had a golf cart stolen while at a campground. Drunk group of guys "misplaced" their own golf cart and mistakenly hopped in mine. Since they also had a club car, key worked so they unwittingly stole it. It was recovered the next day across the campground without damage thankfully, so it at least worked out.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car