lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

doc did you do the gates belt? i have one and it pulls pretty good. never tried to pull a car or boat
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 882001 View Post
doc did you do the gates belt? i have one and it pulls pretty good. never tried to pull a car or boat
Yes It was napa 6089 but it's made by gates thats all Napa sells. I did pull my waverunner's pretty much from one storage to another up the the road and it does get I am still alittle scared to actually luanch them in to the lake I'm affraid Me and the Cart and the Dog would go swimming!!!
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

guess i need to get a hitch.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
brian344
Not Yet Wild

So no suggestions for a better carb?
brian344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

i bought a new carb from cpp for 99 it works like a champ. i never drove it with the other carb so im not sure. but my cart runs great!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #16
Pitcart
Not Yet Wild

I used a carb off of a 88 2pg on my 89 3pg they are a couple mm bigger than the 89 3pg. I also advanced the timing at the breaker plate and had the head milled .030. My 89 marathon easily pulled my 3700 pound car though it did struggle to get it in the trailer when I broke my pinion in my car. With the bumped timming and higher compression I mixed a little VP No2 with 92 to stop pre ignition in the cart. The marathon does a much better job at pulling the car with the polaris 440/ 4 stroke trans axle thats in it now but it did take a bit of work to get it to a point to where I am happy with it.

I would check the float level in the carb you have and maybe even set it a tad high and see if that helps.

I would also check to see if the tank is venting. When it starts to peeter out, pull over and open the fuel cap to see if it has excessive vacuum in the tank. Check and clean all the carb vents and bleeds too.

Last edited by Pitcart; 03-06-2012 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: tank venting
Pitcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
brian344
Not Yet Wild

Just thought I would update and say thanks to all for the suggestions. I got a new belt from NAPA. It was slightly shorter and about .040 wider thant the worn out (original?) belt that was on there. I didn't notice much difference, but it doesn't slip anymore on take off.

I also took some ignition timing out of it. I had to make my own ignition system for this cart after the original reluctor wheel got ground down by the pickup (presumably from the crank bearing being worn out on that side?). I think I had the timing up over 40 degrees. Backed it down to about 30, and she'll just ping a little when loaded hard, so I mixed in a little 114 leaded and it seems to be running great.

Finally, I added a vent to the tank. I assume the cap is vented, but maybe it isn't enough. With my hand over the fill hole and the electric pump running for about 30 seconds, there was a definite vaccum on my hand.

I had tried running without the gas cap the first time I had this problem, but since then I have reringed and ditched the mechanical pump, so might have been two entirely different problems.
brian344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO