lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Might be a dumb one, but 88 Seal question

My 88 started acting up a few days ago and felt like it was struggling, losingpower, etc - I pulled the carb, did all the jets, new plug, etc and everything seemed good until I took off on a good long ride w a rider today and it started REALLY struggling up the hills, etc - finally it just died after *barely* making a slight grade.

Turns over like a maniac, good spark - no go. I popped it in reverse and it *did* fire up, barely, and moved a bit so I swapped it back to forward and it'll run at idle but that's it and it's popping (more of a "chuffing" really) pretty badly. 12v to the coil, good spark, etc - I'm guessing seals *but* what's got me puzzled is that the fuel pump is pumping like it always has, so I'm assuming there's crankcase pressure ... Doesn't seem to be a TON of suction when I put my hand over the carb though - and I tried the ol "carb cleaner" at the seals trick and no popping, etc other than what it's been doing (again, not so indicative of bad seals)

Anyone have any ideas? I'm off to the far FAR back 80 with the pickup and a trailer to get it, prob be able to do some more realistic diagnostics once I get her back to the house - anyone seeing something I blatantly missed (other than a compression check which I can do when I get back with it) ?!?!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Might be a dumb one, but 88 Seal question

Erm .... Other than the incredible pain in the a$$ getting it back to the barn, looks like this just could be a relatively simple one - 50 PSI, forward AND reverse ... Wondering if I should confirm w another comp tester, although this one is brand spanking new?!?

Turn it over, chug chug chuug *pfffffft* chug chug chug *pffffft" etc etc with a small puff out of the pipe at each *pffffft* (sorry - that was as descriptive as I could get, LOL)

Seals and a top end ?!?!?!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Erm .... Other than the incredible pain in the a$$ getting it back to the barn, looks like this just could be a relatively simple one - 50 PSI, forward AND reverse ... Wondering if I should confirm w another comp tester, although this one is brand spanking new?!?

Turn it over, chug chug chuug *pfffffft* chug chug chug *pffffft" etc etc with a small puff out of the pipe at each *pffffft* (sorry - that was as descriptive as I could get, LOL)

Seals and a top end ?!?!?!
That's what my problem was.My crank bearings were so bad the crank was bouncing around in there and the seals were shot.My piston had about .020 of clearance in the cylinder.I was surprised it was even running.I had 80 lbs. on the tester and it wouldn't make any power and was chuffing just like you said.I could run it but it wasn't happy about it.Once I could get it downhill and get it to wind up it would run great.Also if you kept it wound up it would even run fine uphill.This is because the compression didn't have time to leak out once the engine was turning fast enough.I bought a .050 over piston and I'm waiting on the cylinder to get bored.I also changed the seals and bearings.

I'd probably confirm with another tester but it sounds just like mine, but worse.I'd say seals and top end are in order.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Dale,

The 2PG is bullet proof and you broke it. Honestly you don't deserve nice toys.

Seriously I'm sorry to read this, I know how much work you put into the jolly green giant. Still one the brighter side a new cylinder kit and seals isn't too arduous.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yep - add this one to the weeks pile, compressor went out on our fridge, snapped a deck mount on the main tractor, door handle brok on the Ranger .... Dave, maybe you're right - I should stick to drinking

Pulled the trigger on the top end kit, now to order seals and a clutch puller (yeah, I know - screw it, $30 and it's just, well, DONE) - wonder what the odds are the flywheel will want to come off peacefully THIS time around (or for that matter, where the H*** I even PUT the clutch puller, hmmmm ....)

Jerked the heck out of the clutch, etc and there doesn't seem to be any undue play in the shaft so I'm hoping I can get away with just the top end - sucks too as I have family flying in for a week (tomorrow) and I *just* spent like 5 days clearing another 3/4 mile of trails in the woods, was really looking forward to some quality ride-time.

(walks away muttering "port to CARB side" in hopes the plan comes together somehow...)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Parts should finally be here today, looks like I have everything in order (tools, beer for the project, tequila for the celebration afterwards, etc) with the exception of the Ipod playlist for the project, LOL ... Thinking about shooting some video of the parts that AREN'T covered in the 3-part rebuild vids (engine removal, replacement, etc) but we'll see how THAT goes, hahahaha

The ONE question I have, I'm pretty sure after 25 years the inside of the head is gonna be pretty carboned up, I've got a pretty soft "cone-style" wire wheel for the drill that I was hoping to *carefully* use to clean it up, anyone think this is a horrendous idea?

OH - gonna "Q" the muffler again during the project, just for the heck of it - I'll try and post as I go (unless it goes REALLY smooth)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Brew that will work or you can use scotch bright! A bit of side info on your project. Before you install the head get a piece of tempered glass (Your wifes coffee table will work and use a piece of 360 wet or dry sand paper- move it in a cross pattern to remove the high and low spots on the mating surface. When it's shinny you've surfaced the head GOOD LUCK and get the vid or pics.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well, THAT was pretty straightforward, 22 minutes front to back and the engine is out ... Figured I'd do the vid of the reassembly considering the camera battery is about dead (lucky I got THESE pics, LOL)

AND - figured out the compression issue, no rings. Zero. Zip. Nada. looks like I may have been running a bit compromised for awhile too, lotsa scoring, etc from what I can see through the exhaust port anyhow - hit the clutch with some PB Blaster to soak while I have another cuppa Joe, I *might* skip doing the seals though as I *just* did the front last fall and the rear is actually in really good shape - depends on how fast UPS gets here w the parts, how easy the clutch pops off, etc.

Thanks Racin - I'm all set for the task with a nice chunk of 3/4" glass from the barn (dunno what it is *from* but still a better plan than YOURS, at least here in MY world, hahahahahaha) - more to come as the project unwinds !!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

BREW don't be foolish!!!! do the seals also if not for piece of mind. YOU NO BETTER Take the time it will pay off later. Nice to know your wifeeee coffee table survived. I really couldn't have passed that one by the GENERAL myself. That's her name around here Good luck

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Lou - She's OK with You calling her Candy ... THAT disturbs me, considering her name is Candy. But I digress .....

Rebuild = FAIL. Holed the piston in adition to the rings, so likely should have looked at the guts before I buttoned her up. Sorry, Babe.

Top runs 123PSI now, and hasn't even settled in - but it does it incredibly "short-term" then sorta seizes, sorta loses power (mostly seizes) then just scares my "know enough to get into trouble and then hopes someone can help me" A******

(Dave - we've been through this - WTF? Piston didnt' fit, drop in easily, or anything - I had to hone the cylinder due to an *unnamed* sponsor sending me a pristine set of rings, a beautiful piston, and a rusty jug (have pix) ...

I'm done ranting - I have 2 pulls and 8hrs into it so far - The compression is fine, so I know this round of work, well ..... WORKS. Starts great, runs for about 2 minutes then feels like the motor is "binding" or building far too much compression - that's MY take. THEN - I throw it in Reverse and it starts again, back up 20-30ft and I let off because backwards sucks, unless You're looking something in the eyes, hard.

Starts again in "F" - repeat as neccessary.

HAYYYYYALPPPPPPP

*BONUS* Has anyone actually had a 12pk sent to them? Word on the solution

Dale
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO