lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Cottonjr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Exclamation 1982 gas ezgo txt starting issues

OK SPECS. 1982 GAS EZGO TXT 6 seater
295cc Robin engine

First off great cart only problem I had was the battery would die after a couple of days. So after going through different batteries I decided to just charge it every weekend. I checked the wiring and put a meter on the charging system and couldn't find a problem. Then the other night I decide I'll just wire in a battery disconnect switch. So after doing a awesome job running cables and wiring it(wise ***) I start the cart to test everything, no problem fires right up. THEN I say let's make sure the disconnect switch breaks the circuit. It does but I think I heard a noise now it won't start. I believe the problem is either the COIL, IGNITOR, or the PULSER COIL? I put a spark checker on the plug and turned it over and it sparks a little at fist then nothing. I just don't know which one it is any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cottonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1982 gas ezgo txt starting issues

Ok, if you're positive it's one of those three, look up HEI mod in this forum.The HEI unit is a module found in a GM distributor of certain years that replaces the ignitor, your most likely suspect.Your ignitor cannot be tested except for swapping it into a cart that you know runs.Also, the ignitor can run over $100.The HEI unit on the other hand, is available at most auto parts stores, costs about $20(or maybe 1$ a piece for a couple out of a junkyard)and can be tested.It's a super simple job to do.

Keep in mind, your electrical system is already out of order on this cart, so this may not be your problem at all.It could be a short or a loose wire somewhere.However, if the HEI does get it going, get your charging system fixed.You'll just end up wrecking your batteries if you keep draining and charging them.

There's a diagram of the wiring involved for the conversion here at the very bottom.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...iagram-id.html
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Cottonjr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Heliarc I went and rewired everything lastnight and installed a new HEI module. Ok cart starts BUT, it doesn't rev up right. It takes it a while lots of sputtering up and down then it eventually revs up to top rpm's. Now I'm thinking (praying) its the plugs that are causing the hesitation, they are a little warn looking and who knows probably original. If that isn't the problem any suggestions as to what else it could be? Fuel filter is good, fuel pump is pumping, and now spark is awesome. I even swapped the wires to the pulser coil to see if that corrected it but it didn't. SOOOO.... Thanks for any help, this forum is awesome.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just some info for future thought. Never disconnect the battery cable(s) with the engine running! It can ruin both the voltage regulator and the ignitor! what happens is that the voltage regulator sees a dead battery ( no volts) so it puts out more current to try to charge the battery. Since there is no battery, the voltage will rise enough to fry the electronic units!
Newer vehicles are also very susceptible to this! You can destroy a $400 computer in an instant!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Well, you've got some progress at least.I'd get that generator working.Then you can experiment without needing the battery charger.Hell, your generator not working could be contributing.Understand that I'm not saying your generator is fried, just that something is causing it to not put out.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Cottonjr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Generator works good its just the voltage regulator is bad. Need to find a new one. My issue now is it doesn't rev up right. It takes it a while lots of sputtering up and down then it eventually revsup to top rpm's.Now I'm thinking (praying) its the plugs that are causing the hesitation, they are a little warn looking and who knows probably original.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO