lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
firecart1
Getting Wild

Default 89 Marathon with HEI..no spark!!

89 Marathon with HEI mod ran perfect...until...whatever happened!! Allegedly it ran in reverse but not in forward right before it quit. Now it turns over fine but doesn't have ANY spark at all!! It's full of gas and has compression. What is my flow chart for this? Thanks in Advance!!
firecart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
amcjeep
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Marathon with HEI..no spark!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecart1 View Post
89 Marathon with HEI mod ran perfect...until...whatever happened!! Allegedly it ran in reverse but not in forward right before it quit. Now it turns over fine but doesn't have ANY spark at all!! It's full of gas and has compression. What is my flow chart for this? Thanks in Advance!!
Resistance across the pulsar should be 75-150 ohms. It produces around a half of volt A/C or so while cranking.
amcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
amcjeep
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Is your HEI module secured really well to a heat sink? It may have over heated and burned out.
amcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
firecart1
Getting Wild

The heat sink is fastened to a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate (which I thought might also help with cooling) and I put plenty of grease behind it and snugged it down and I even had a spare wire from the backside of the module going to the battery ground. I've already put 2 coils and 2 modules in this thing...Getting kinda frustrated!!

Tomorrow morning I will check the Pulsar readings and get back with you guys....Thanks For the responses!!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Check that plug at the pulser to the engine for corrosion. They don't like dirt.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
firecart1
Getting Wild

No Dirt or junk in the plug to the pulsar. 158 Ohms between the wires of the pulsar (hot 90 deg. Nebraska day) and I'm not getting any voltage out of it when cranking. Sounds like another Module?!? This will be the 3rd one in a year!! And I'm NOT buying the cheap ones!! I may try re-locating the module to another piece of aluminum mounted to the frame. The one I have now is mounted to the flywheel cover. Maybe it's getting too hot or something...I don't know!! Always had plenty of grease between the aluminum and the module to help facilitate cooling.... Maybe it's shaking it too much being mounted on the flywheel cover.
Also with the resistance above the specified 150 do you think I should replace the pulsar also?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
firecart1
Getting Wild

Just an FYI....I replaced the module AND the coil..... Started right up! Relocated the coil and the module to the frame so hopefully it will stay cooler, not shake so much or whatever. The parts guy at Oreiley said I should proabably put in a resistor to the coil from the + side. He thought that's what might be cooking the coil/module.

Ran it 3 miles then parked it in the driveway. It sat for 1 hour and the wife wanted to use it. She put it in reverse and it backed up just fine. Then once she switched it to drive....No fire!! Turned over fine just no fire!! As I almost ran to the fridge and retrieved all the beer to lessen my worries, I went to the cart and asked her to be sure it was in forward gear. SHe wiggled the handle from F-R-F and it fired up. Not feeling confident ,she returned it to the garage. 3 hours later I went to check on it for myself. Fired up in reverse right off the bat! Then switched it to forward and no fire again!! What the heck is going on!?? Nothing after that!! No reverse or forward!! Anyone have a clue what is going on?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
racin161
Gone Wild

Firecart your problem is in the f/r selector the contacts are dirty. Spray contact cleaner in it and move it froward & reverse several times and blow out with compressed air. It may take more than one try but it should work.Carb cleaner or brake clean will also work.

LOU
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
firecart1
Getting Wild

Would it still turn over if the contacts are dirty? Because it turns over all day long without the fire. I hope not and this is my simple fix...but I figured that if it has enough juice to turn over, it would have enough juice to fire. Correct me if I'm wrong.....Because I'm stumped!!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
racin161
Gone Wild

Sorry was under the impression it wouldn't crank in forward at times Lose fire in forward only at times Hummm have to think about that one.

LOU
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO