lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
97_Yammy
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1997 G16 Front Lowering

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That looks like a good plan, but i would want to add some gussets where the arm meets the spindle bracket for stability.
I think you have something here. Gonna pop the a arms off tomorrow and bring em to a local welder and see if he can hook me up. This may just do the trick without breaking the bank.
97_Yammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #12
97_Yammy
Getting Wild

This is my stock spindle, looks a bit beefier than the one small block has pictured. Should be able to cut right along the weld and move it up 2" and re-weld
Old 07-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Yes that will work, but you may not get 2". I had some old lift parts that's why I did it like that. I would recommend that you cut then tack weld the spindle holder on first. You will need to be certin you have some positive canber, then finsh welding. Good luck.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

I agree with smallblock. Looks like maybe 1" drop at best as I wouldn't put the bottom of the spindle any higher than the bottom of the beam. If you do bring it to the top, then I would add bracing on the back side and on the bottom side. Bracing will help keep the spindle where it is fitted and not move as the weld cool.

I'd also cut it off with a portaband to have a clean cool cut. If the beam is cast, the welder will need to preheat and then let cool in still air (maybe even wrap with fiberglass blanket to allow it to cool slower), otherwise the heat affected zone of the cast metal will become brittle. I would think the beam is forged steel, but a good welder will know what metal he is working with and know what to do.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
97_Yammy
Getting Wild

Jebus, this is all so complicated lol. Almost not worth going through to only get a 1" drop. Gonna stop in at the cycle salvage yard and see about a different set up coil covers. I can go 2" by suspension without the a arms bottoming out on the frame. Anyone know the stock load rating lbs per inch on a G16 4 stroke front coil over? Part # jn3f335000

Also has the markings Aral Mex E-590
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

A 1" drop will make a differance in tire/fender location depending on the tires and wheels you plan to use. In th on road section I did a rework of a G22 cushion/shock assy at 2" and found out the 12" low pros wouldn't work, but 10" low pros would. Tell you what, if your bound and determind to try this, I have a set of G16 lower controll arms you can play with, but you have to pay the shipping.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
97_Yammy
Getting Wild

Thanks for the offer man, but I'm betting shipping on something like that would be pretty pricey to Ontario. Gonna get everything back together and see how it looks at stock height. Will just focus on what I can do for now and once winter comes I will revisit this.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #18
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Its simple to reweld them,they are just fabricated from stamped sheetmetal.Changing shocks will lower it,but still cause a camber issue.Push down the nose of the cart with your foot on the bumper,you'll see it.Like they said,1" doesnt seem like alot,until you see it done.A 4" lift seems minor,and carts look like they are a foot higher after,without big tires.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha