lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default performance lack after plowmans kit

Ok first of all i have been trying to get ahold if don for a month to no avail. He called back once but inwasnt around. So im hoping yall could help me out. i put his performancr kit on my 97 g16 with a 6" lift and 23" tires. I hardly felt a gain and lost 1 mph. Took it up the mountains at my cabin and it could hardly hit 10 mph going up a hill. I also noticed a puff of smoke sometimes when under a hard koad but i have 170 psi compresssion and its not loosing oil so i think its too rich. Plug is a littke sooty. He also told me to return my throttle cables to the stock location in the governor and drill out the home but now it sticks if i push it half throttle and ive adjusted the hell out of it. I also adjusted the valves to .008. Anything i could be missing here? How are your carts doin with his setup up some decent hills?
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Default Re: performance lack after plowmans kit

I cannot vouch for hills, but being a limo I have a lot of added weight. I've found performance increased slightly, but I honestly didn't have a good benchmark given the prior history of this cart. More than anything I like the lower pulling end which is what I wanted from the beginning. My front tires are also crappy, but I have new tires coming in. Once I get them I plan to do another speed test just for a benchmark.

Have you checked the gap on your plug? Did you adjust the valves with a hot engine and on a compression stroke?
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Keep calling and tell diane that you need to speek to him asap about the issue your having. He will call you.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteramatt View Post
Ok first of all i have been trying to get ahold if don for a month to no avail. He called back once but inwasnt around. So im hoping yall could help me out. i put his performancr kit on my 97 g16 with a 6" lift and 23" tires. I hardly felt a gain and lost 1 mph. Took it up the mountains at my cabin and it could hardly hit 10 mph going up a hill. I also noticed a puff of smoke sometimes when under a hard koad but i have 170 psi compresssion and its not loosing oil so i think its too rich. Plug is a littke sooty. He also told me to return my throttle cables to the stock location in the governor and drill out the home but now it sticks if i push it half throttle and ive adjusted the hell out of it. I also adjusted the valves to .008. Anything i could be missing here? How are your carts doin with his setup up some decent hills?
I assume you're talking about the carb jet and airbox mod kit? That kit is designed primarily to keep the mixture from leaning out too much when the engine is running at higher RPM, such as what you would encounter with a bypassed governor. It will also make the throttle response a bit better. But you won't notice gobs more power. If you have a lifted cart with bigger tires and desire better low end grunt, you will need to have your clutches reworked. The combination of the clutch work and the carb kit will give you more pleasing performance.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I already put his belt and spring into the clutch. What other clutch mods are there?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Cut/machined sheaves. The spring just keeps tension on the secondary to keep in in low gear for a longer period and also helps it backshift much quicker. The cut sheaves will aid in the low gear response and it will pull harder, but not faster. The clutch mods won't gain you any more mph, if you didn't lose any you'll be doing good. It's more for pulling harder under load.

Sounds like it made it up the hill....what kind of results were you looking for? I don't think a big cart will go much faster uphill without adding a lot more power. The kit you have isn't going to add all that much power, marginal, but should improve throttle response. To get more speed uphill you'll need a big block.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Cut/machined sheaves. The spring just keeps tension on the secondary to keep in in low gear for a longer period and also helps it backshift much quicker. The cut sheaves will aid in the low gear response and it will pull harder, but not faster. The clutch mods won't gain you any more mph, if you didn't lose any you'll be doing good. It's more for pulling harder under load.

Sounds like it made it up the hill....what kind of results were you looking for? I don't think a big cart will go much faster uphill without adding a lot more power. The kit you have isn't going to add all that much power, marginal, but should improve throttle response. To get more speed uphill you'll need a big block.
That's pretty much the long and short of it. The stock engine is only in the neighborhood of 11 HP, and there is only so much extra power you're going to get out of it with carb and exhaust mods. Clutch work, as has been stated is meant to make sure you are able to "downshift" to the lowest gear, and hold on to it longer for the power needed to overcome the gearing change that occurs when larger tires are added. In an extreme case, you could also change the gears in the transmission. I believe I've seen higher (15:1?) ratio gear sets as well as lower offered by some suppliers. Of course these changes will improve low speed power, but will cut top end speed. There's no practical way to get both low end power and top end speed at the same time from a stock setup. The big block solution is the answer to that problem.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

My G14 has a 4" lift with 22's and will only go 18 mph gps. I got Plowman's performance kit which was the one with his complete secondary clutch with both sheaves and yellow spring, jets , & muffler. He also told me to remove the outer foam from the filter too . I know mine is different from your breather. I told him what I was looking for was pulling hills as I primarily use it while hunting. It does a good job for what I wanted yet does all he speed I need. Not looking for a race car type. I have rebuilt my primary clutch too except for the bushings , which it needs, has a small amount of play. This is with a stock motor (300 ) ,which has good compression but needs oil rings . Don't think I could ask for anymore for a stock motor .
BamaG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have the machined sheave too.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
rheller219
Not Yet Wild

I think the issue may be more that he brought the cart up to his cabin in the mountains. How much elevation change are we talking? If its alot, that can certainly affect performance. You may not be jetted right for the elevation
rheller219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha