lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
cousteau61
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV voltage reducer

Good evening! I am new at working with golf carts and am installing a voltage reducer (48 v to 12v) in my 2015 RXV to power lights and radio. I have read that you should not attach to the key switch, that you should have on/off directly from battery pack or solenoid. 2 questions:

1st: Do people prefer going directly off the battery pack + with a toggle switch and if so, where do you find a toggle switch that can handle 48V?

2nd: My most pressing question is where do I mount it?! All the instructions say to mount to the metal frame because it will get hot, but I can't find a good spot on the frame to mount. If I do mount it to the frame do you screw it in? Cable tie it on?

Any help with this would be most appreciated! Thank you!
cousteau61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV voltage reducer

One way to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0445.jpg (365.3 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousteau61 View Post
Good evening! I am new at working with golf carts and am installing a voltage reducer (48 v to 12v) in my 2015 RXV to power lights and radio. I have read that you should not attach to the key switch, that you should have on/off directly from battery pack or solenoid. 2 questions:

1st: Do people prefer going directly off the battery pack + with a toggle switch and if so, where do you find a toggle switch that can handle 48V?

2nd: My most pressing question is where do I mount it?! All the instructions say to mount to the metal frame because it will get hot, but I can't find a good spot on the frame to mount. If I do mount it to the frame do you screw it in? Cable tie it on?

Any help with this would be most appreciated! Thank you!
The best place to control a DC-DC converter (Voltage Reducer) is from the small terminal on the solenoid that the red wire connects to. The output side of the solenoid is switched off by the controller (by disconnecting ground on the black solenoid wire) after a time interval when you take your foot off of the throttle pedal. So you would not want to use that solenoid output to power your DC-DC converter.

Of course, accessory power draw is a factor here. If you intend to use a 30 Amp DC-DC converter, current draw on the 48V input can approach 8 Amps at rated output. This would require a relay to switch battery pack power to the input of the DC-DC converter. If you use a 10 Amp DC-DC converter, at maximum rated output power the input current is less than 3 Amps and can be safely carried by the line that powers the input of the solenoid.

I chose to use a 10 Amp DC-DC converter for this reason. I chose to remove the halogen headlights and use LED headlights to reduce power consumption. The rear tail/turn/brake lights were already LED.

If it were a TXT or some other cart other than an RVX, the options are easy. With the way the RXV controls pretty much everything with the controller, it requires taking that into consideration prior to attaching accessories.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
Slimshad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So a 10A reducer will run lights and Radio ok on an RXV?
Slimshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimshad View Post
So a 10A reducer will run lights and Radio ok on an RXV?
That depends upon whether or not you use LED lights and how powerful of a stereo system that you want to install. A standard auto stereo and LED lights can run just fine on 10 Amps. A high powered stereo can draw over 10 Amps by itself.

Bob
Old 11-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
Slimshad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

May be a dumb question, but how can I find out what the Amp draw is on a stereo?
Slimshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
cousteau61
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
On the solenoid, there are 2 large posts.

The first has a wire that runs from the battery pack to the Solenoid. This post of the solenoid is constant hot.

The second large post has a wire running to the controller. This is the switched post of the solenoid.

You want to connect the switched wire of the voltage reducer to the switched post of the solenoid./

Just don't forget to put the cart in Tow mode before loosening any wiring on the batteries or the solenoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathfu View Post
Thank you for the reply, could you please confirm the location again based on my picture attached?

Bob,
Thank you for the help. My understanding is that on an RXV you hook up the DC converter to the "switched" post on the solenoid, which would be the one WITHOUT the red wire, that has the bus bar attached. I have a 30amp converter that I plan on using to run LED headlights and a radio that the box says is max 10amps. The converter has yellow wire for main battery pack positive, black for main battery pack negative, red for accessory power to the lights and stereo, blue for radio memory, and green for key switch. It is this green wire that I believe I am supposed to put a ring terminal on and attach to the post on the solenoid that has the bus bar attached to. As this is just a wire to switch on the dc converter I wouldn't expect there to be much amperage going to it at all, right? I got confused when you started talking about accessory draw power... won't that just come from the yellow wire coming directly off the battery pack, not having anything to do with the solenoid?
cousteau61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousteau61 View Post
Bob,
Thank you for the help. My understanding is that on an RXV you hook up the DC converter to the "switched" post on the solenoid, which would be the one WITHOUT the red wire, that has the bus bar attached. I have a 30amp converter that I plan on using to run LED headlights and a radio that the box says is max 10amps. The converter has yellow wire for main battery pack positive, black for main battery pack negative, red for accessory power to the lights and stereo, blue for radio memory, and green for key switch. It is this green wire that I believe I am supposed to put a ring terminal on and attach to the post on the solenoid that has the bus bar attached to. As this is just a wire to switch on the dc converter I wouldn't expect there to be much amperage going to it at all, right? I got confused when you started talking about accessory draw power... won't that just come from the yellow wire coming directly off the battery pack, not having anything to do with the solenoid?
If you connect the green switch wire to that large terminal on the solenoid with the strap, your accessories will only be able to operate when you are driving the cart and for a second or so after you stop. The main power solenoid does not stay engaged when the motor is not being used! RXVs are different than all of the DC drive carts. The controller controls when the main power solenoid is on. Your green wire would use a small ring terminal and connect to the small terminal with the small red wire on the solenoid. This is powered on by the key switch and is hot with +48V in all three reverse/neutral/forward positions and is not hot when the key is off. The KSI = keyswitch input (the yellow wire), line is fused by a 10 Amp fuse.

From here on, this is going to get technical. This is to explain to those that want to know why I am giving this advice.

A little known fact is that standard electrical/electronic design criteria means that wiring, switches, and fuses, are to be rated for at least twice of the designed continuous circuit rating. This means that the fused KSI circuit is designed to be capable of supplying at least 5 Amps of continuous current. I now apologize to the other design engineers out there for giving away one of our secrets.

Another little known fact is that DC-DC converters convert watts to watts, plus a small amount of overhead (average is 96% efficiency for 36V to 12V and 98% efficiency for 48 to 12V). 10 Amps @ 12 Volts = 120 watts, the same as 2.5 Amps @ 48 Volts = 120 watts. With overhead, current draw with overhead is still well under 3 Amps.

Obviously, the best DC-DC converter for use on the KSI line either has a power consumption that fits within the design criteria (120 watts), or runs from the battery pack directly and has a seperate keyswitch input control wire (the green wire mentioned prior) connected to the KSI wire.

I hope this explain it well enough.

Bob
Old 11-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

On a Rxv the solenoid is always on when the key is on. There is a timeout, but it's like 20 minutes of no activity.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
@thehelm
Not Yet Wild

I am also looking for the best place to mount this. It says to mount to metal because it gets hot but where Kernal above shows mounting it is plastic I believe, has that been an issue?
@thehelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO