lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
B Run
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs down Ezgo TXT locks up brakes when throttle is let off

Hey guys, new to the forum and golf carts in general and would really like some help. I picked up a 98' ezgo txt last week that was supposedly all rebuilt in 2015, log story short it wasn't and now I've got some issues.
The main issue is it accelerates fine but the second I let off the throttle it locks up the brakes and will throw you forward abruptly. They guy said he'd just had the brakes all done, and when I pressed him for the info he admitted he did them himself and doesn't know much about them. It also almost died after driving it for less than 5 miles the other day on a full charge, not sure if that's related. Batteries are U.S. Battery and replaced at the end of 2015, it also has a Alltrax ncx controller, Jake's 6" lift and 21" tires if that helps.
Any ideas or things I should check would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to all this. A lot of the things I was told about the cart turned out to be lies, the guy won't let me return it and now I'm afraid I'm stuck holding the bag. Thanks again. -Brandon
B Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo TXT locks up brakes when throttle is let off

Put the cart up on jack stands to safely support it. See if you can turn the rear wheels by hand with the controller in tow mode.

Normal operation would allow you to turn one wheel by hand and the other tire will turn in the opposite direction.

See if it feels like the drag is happening at the wheel. If you can hear rubbing or squeaking then the shoes are tight to the drum.

If the brakes are dragging then you will have reduced range.
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
B Run
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok I'll definitely do that tomorrow. Do the 98' TXT's have a tow switch? Sorry for being so clueless I've been reading and trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Any cart with an NCX (sepex ) controller will have a run tow switch. The regen or de-acceleration is set too high. I think you can program it down if the wheels are spinning freely and not braking hard???
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
B Run
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I found a random toggle switch laying under the passenger side below the NCX controller, if I flip it the cart won't run so I'm assuming that must be it? I thought the NCX was non programmable? Oh and the best part I just realized one of the 6 batteries is an 8v and all the others are 6v. Fun times.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
B Run
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok so I got it jacked up, I can BARELY spin a wheel if I really muscle it, and it does not turn the other wheel at all. I took off the wheel, and center nut and pin and cannot get the drum off. I've tried prying, hammering and wd40 but it won't budge.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Kabe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

B Run, did you ever get resolution of your auto braking problem. I am having the exact same problem on my 2014 EZGO. As soon as you let the pedal a fraction of an inch, the motor locks up and the carts skids to a halt, either trying to throw you through the windshield (in F) or give you whiplash (in R). The onset of this condition was just after a hose washing. I’m thinking that the controller is or solenoid.

One interesting thing I’ve learned, is that this behavior is unchanged even if I disconnect the speed controller connection. I’ve checked the ITS box, and it is dry and dusty, so. I water issues there.
Kabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
B Run
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yep it was the brakes. The guy I bought it from tried to do them himself and screwed something up. I took it to my local golf cart place and they got me up and going quick and cheap, but I forgot exactly what they said.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:00 AM   #9
Mauricevr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabe View Post
B Run, did you ever get resolution of your auto braking problem. I am having the exact same problem on my 2014 EZGO. As soon as you let the pedal a fraction of an inch, the motor locks up and the carts skids to a halt, either trying to throw you through the windshield (in F) or give you whiplash (in R). The onset of this condition was just after a hose washing. I’m thinking that the controller is or solenoid.

One interesting thing I’ve learned, is that this behavior is unchanged even if I disconnect the speed controller connection. I’ve checked the ITS box, and it is dry and dusty, so. I water issues there.

A tad late but you ever resolve this problem, sitting with the same issue
Mauricevr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, ezgo, problem, throttle, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO