lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Is there a wire somewhere that is 48v+ and is switched with the key?

I'm trying to rewire my 48v Western (EZ-GO) golf cart so that all of the accessories (lights, stereo, etc) are turned off with the key. It has a Curtis controller.

My idea is to disconnect all accessories from the batteries and connect them directly to the fuse block, then connect the fuse block to the 12v relay, then connect the 12v relay to the 48v reducer, then connect the 48v reducer to something that is switched on with 48v via the KEY.

I've been testing every wire I can think of with my multimeter and switching the key on/off, but nothing seems switched.

I even tested pin #1 on the controller, which is wired to the key switch (according to the manual), but the voltage change is 0.013v (off) to 0.062v (on), which is not enough to activate a separate 12v relay anyway.

Below is a picture if it helps.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Is there a wire somewhere that is 48v+ and is switched with the key?

There are reducers out there that are switch by 48volts so if you can find that wire use it for the trigger.. What model Curtis is that?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #3
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Is there a wire somewhere that is 48v+ and is switched with the key?

Was the wiring in disrepair when you got the cart? The reason I ask is because I have had 5-6 westerns and still have 2 currently. Every single western I have had already has exactly what you’re looking for from the factory. None of my accessories work unless the key is on. If I shut off the key everything goes off. Perhaps you may be able to retrace the wires to get the result you want. I have western factory wiring diagrams if you need them.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #4
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
There are reducers out there that are switch by 48volts so if you can find that wire use it for the trigger.. What model Curtis is that?
Well I can't find anything that switches except the controller wire that isn't even 1 volt. If I can find a switch, then I can figure out 48v vs 12v no problem.

It's a Curtis 1264-5405, which I guess is a specialty one made just for EZ-Go (per the manufacturer) so I need to reach out to EZ-Go directly.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
Was the wiring in disrepair when you got the cart? The reason I ask is because I have had 5-6 westerns and still have 2 currently. Every single western I have had already has exactly what you’re looking for from the factory. None of my accessories work unless the key is on. If I shut off the key everything goes off. Perhaps you may be able to retrace the wires to get the result you want. I have western factory wiring diagrams if you need them.
Definitely in disrepair. +/- were reversed for the radio AND the lights. Both the lights and radio are hooked directly to different sets of 6v batteries (in series for 12v).

If you have wiring diagrams that would definitely be helpful!

There are tons of unused wires it seems too. Under the cupholders (above the radio), there's just a bundle of wires that don't seem connected to anything.

I've traced some and found they're cut under the seat, then I find the other ends under the cup holders and they're not connected to anything either?

It feels like the lights (or maybe turn signals) are an aftermarket add-on?
Old 04-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Typically these cart mirror their Ezgo roots, meaning the keyswitch is fed with 48v+ and then goes out to the pedal box. Hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #7
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Is there a wire somewhere that is 48v+ and is switched with the key?

The main solenoid activation wire should be 48 volts. The small + wire on it.

On my carts weather they are 36/48 volt.

I add another solenoid that is the same voltage as the main contactor so it is operated with the key switch. I then hook the + of 2 batteries to one of the large terminal's and then run the 12 volts are 16 volts to the accessories off the other terminal. The 8 volts want hurt most accessories since your car alternator will charge at 16 volts. Most will handle it just fine. My beach cart has been like this for almost 10 years now and it hasn't blown anything as of yet.
I don't do a lot of night time riding so the batteries stay pretty even. I do check them though to make sure they do. This is also helpful for the brake lights when the hill brake is used. If you forget to turn anything off it all goes off when you turn the key off.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:13 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It looks similar to the factory ezgo "service duty" vehicles like electric MPT models. It's a curtis 48v sepex controller.

Dont bother wasting your time calling ezgo factory, they are just gonna say "contact your local ezgo dealer". (Who might not know squat about a Western, since it's not a Ezgo product).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Definitely in disrepair. +/- were reversed for the radio AND the lights. Both the lights and radio are hooked directly to different sets of 6v batteries (in series for 12v).

If you have wiring diagrams that would definitely be helpful!

There are tons of unused wires it seems too. Under the cupholders (above the radio), there's just a bundle of wires that don't seem connected to anything.

I've traced some and found they're cut under the seat, then I find the other ends under the cup holders and they're not connected to anything either?

It feels like the lights (or maybe turn signals) are an aftermarket add-on?
Below is the thread I posted with the wiring diagram pdfs. I hope it helps.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=159291
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Well I can't find anything that switches except the controller wire that isn't even 1 volt. If I can find a switch, then I can figure out 48v vs 12v no problem.

It's a Curtis 1264-5405, which I guess is a specialty one made just for EZ-Go (per the manufacturer) so I need to reach out to EZ-Go directly.
Here is a schematic for an EZGO ST400 with a 1264 controller. Your cart's wiring ought to be similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST400 48V Sepex.jpg (214.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO