lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery, charger, or tire issue?

Newbie to carts and picked up a 2003 36V TXT a couple weeks ago. I don't have much of a benchmark, but I "feel" as though I lose charge/power quicker than I should. I'm trying to determine where my issue may lay. Been reading all over the site, trying to educate myself first before posting this.

1. Batteries: They are June-December 2017 Duracell 6V.
2. Charger: As far as I know, it's the original Powerwise
3. Tires: 22x10-10 GBC Dirt Devils

Tonight I just started to be able to start my endeavor. Had been plugged in since yesterday evening.

I topped off the batteries with water. They were probably half inch from the fill indicator on the fill port's plastic "sheath". I also cleaned and applied dielectric grease to all terminal fittings/cables.

We drove it for a bit (20-25) minutes and using ScottieB's meter, it was reading in the low 37's (I boneheadedly forgot to document/remember exact). I completely forgot to check the voltage before riding.

I plugged it in and let it charge. It kicks on and hums up around 20A I believe. I happened to be out in the garage when it kicked off. Immediately put the meter on and the pack read 40.6. Is this an acceptable shut off value? I've read that it should maybe as high as 43? Also, I never heard an audible difference of it dropping the applied Amps during charge. It's as thought it is charging at all or nothing. No in between.

I let the batteries rest for 30-45 minutes or so and they're reading 38.0 at the moment. Individually, they're reading either 6.2 or 6.3V. Yes, I know I'm supposed to wait overnight. However, I'm already below the 100% SoC voltage of 38.2.

Lastly, it has enormous tires on it. As I stated above, 22x10-10 GBC Dirt Devils. Personally, they're bigger than I'd buy and put on, but the previous owner had them on. For the price he was asking and the rest of the mods, I could not let it pass just because of tires. Would these (essentially four-wheeler) tires be suckimg that much juice?

The lower pack reading less than an hour of charging makes me think it is batteries or charger before tires. Also, the full load only and kick off at 40.6 may point me there?

I'd love if you guys can help me walk through the diagnosis of my issue. I plan on reading the pack again in the morning, but wanted to get this started.

20200421_201938.jpg
20200421_223924.jpg
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery, charger, or tire issue?

Seemed as though the site had issues most of the day so far????

Bumping up and updating that I left the charger off all night. Pack read 37.2. I'm definitely not getting a full charge.

Is that because the batteries are at fault or because the charger? I feel the latter with the kick-off at 40.6 and quickly falling below 100% after shutting off. I don't think it's going into the different amp levels for the charge. Just the initial, large hit, and then turns completely off at the 40.x.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I suspect you have a PW 28115 charger since it hums and puts out about 20A when it first turns on.

The battery pack's ON-Charge voltage ought to climb to 45V +/-1V before the charger turns off, but that is the voltage between the charger's control board's black and red wires rather than the voltage between the battery pack's main terminals.

Any connection in the series charging loop inside the charger and the cart with excessive resistance can cause to voltage seen at the control board to be higher than what is measured at the battery pack's main terminals. So clean all those connections also.

------------

The 3 year old batteries might still have some life left in them. Try several back-to-back charges.

---------
Here is a manual for a PW-28115 charger and a SoC chart for the Duracell batteries.

-------
What is the max inflation pressure stamped on tire's sidewall? If it is 10PSI or less, they may be slowing cart down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (63.9 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for the tips. I'll lay out this evening.

Took it out this evening after being unplugged all night md reading around 37.2. Rode for about 15 minutes and did the actual install of ScottieB's meter. Discharged down to. 36.6.

Plugged it in and it started charging at 17amps. After 10-15 minutes I'm at 40.3 and still at 17 amps.

I've also sprayed the plug and cart receptacle with electrical contact cleaner. Picture attached of receptacle.

I'm currently watching it charge. Just hit 40.6 and it's still on.

Thanks for walking through this with me Jonnie

20200430_172353.jpg

20200430_172515.jpg
Old 04-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I suspect you have a PW 28115 charger since it hums and puts out about 20A when it first turns on.

The battery pack's ON-Charge voltage ought to climb to 45V +/-1V before the charger turns off, but that is the voltage between the charger's control board's black and red wires rather than the voltage between the battery pack's main terminals.

Any connection in the series charging loop inside the charger and the cart with excessive resistance can cause to voltage seen at the control board to be higher than what is measured at the battery pack's main terminals. So clean all those connections also.

------------

The 3 year old batteries might still have some life left in them. Try several back-to-back charges.

---------
Here is a manual for a PW-28115 charger and a SoC chart for the Duracell batteries.

-------
What is the max inflation pressure stamped on tire's sidewall? If it is 10PSI or less, they may be slowing cart down.

I forgot to answer your last question. There's no clear max inflation. There's the load rating at a specific pressure and a bead seating max. 20200430_174352.jpg

20200430_174404.jpg
Old 04-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Update: hour and a half later and a couple pull and reinsertions, it is changing at 5 Amps and 44.3V. We'll see how long this goes.

I hope it was seriously as simple as dirty contacts on the charger and port.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzIndyGo View Post
I forgot to answer your last question. There's no clear max inflation. There's the load rating at a specific pressure and a bead seating max. Attachment 201399

Attachment 201400
7 PSI cold is max operating pressure.

From the looks of the cracks in the sidewalls, tires are on the bucket list.
Try to stay above 15PSI max, 20 PSI is better.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #8
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
7 PSI cold is max operating pressure.

From the looks of the cracks in the sidewalls, tires are on the bucket list.
Try to stay above 15PSI max, 20 PSI is better.
Yeah, just waiting for one to give. I wouldn't be mad about having to get new tires... probably drop down to a less aggressive 20" tire.

I currently have 15 in front and 18-20 in rear.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:13 AM   #9
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

37.6 this morning. Still not holding even after I witnessed a higher shut off and the amperage step down.

I'll unplug and replug a few times over the course of the day to see if I can revitalize them.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:50 AM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Those tires look HUGE to me.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO