lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2020, 07:57 AM   #11
ErikG
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2011 RXV Danaher to Curtis 350a Conversion

If I'm going to do this, I'll do it right. A new harness it is.

Looks like if I piece meal all of the parts from the kit, and pick up one of the controllers from eBay, I can do everything (including the harness) for what EZGO wants for the conversion kit only.

I'm going to have to wait on it for a little while though.

@Biaviian - An RXV with 23" tires on flat terrain with the stock Danaher is no problem. I wouldn't be interested in doing the upgrade if I lived in a flat area. I live in a lake community that is very hilly, and my house is at the highest spot in the entire neighborhood. It struggles a bit climbing a steep grade. It's not terrible, but its not ideal either.
ErikG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #12
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
An RXV with 23" tires on flat terrain with the stock Danaher is no problem. I wouldn't be interested in doing the upgrade if I lived in a flat area. I live in a lake community that is very hilly, and my house is at the highest spot in the entire neighborhood. It struggles a bit climbing a steep grade. It's not terrible, but its not ideal either.
Thanks for the information. We will be using ours for yard work, hauling wood/pulling logs, and moving bee boxes. So far it is performing beautifully and feels more of an ATV.
Biaviian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:15 AM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaviian View Post
Thanks for the information. We will be using ours for yard work, hauling wood/pulling logs, and moving bee boxes. So far it is performing beautifully and feels more of an ATV.
23" tires will eventually damage and burn out the stock controller. It requires more power to maintain rotor lock in the motor so it can turn those tires, than the stock controiller is designed to deliver. The motor maps in the controller are only designed for tires up to 20.5" high. That is what causes the mismatch...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #14
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
23" tires will eventually damage and burn out the stock controller. It requires more power to maintain rotor lock in the motor so it can turn those tires, than the stock controiller is designed to deliver. The motor maps in the controller are only designed for tires up to 20.5" high. That is what causes the mismatch...
I know that I still have the stock solenoid Feb of 2012), so that makes me believe it is the same controller. Are you saying that it would be in my best interest to replace the controller? Should the stock motor be okay, provided I get a better controller?
Biaviian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Bob he is putting in the 350 amp version. Should it have this problem?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #16
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaviian View Post
I know that I still have the stock solenoid Feb of 2012), so that makes me believe it is the same controller. Are you saying that it would be in my best interest to replace the controller? Should the stock motor be okay, provided I get a better controller?
Your in need of a Curtis RXV 350amp controller and a new solenoid. Your stock motor will be ok. It would be in your best interest if you get a 350amp controller to have Bob reprogram it for you.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:43 AM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Bob he is putting in the 350 amp version. Should it have this problem?
I guess it would depend upon the controller used. There are plenty of 350 Amp AC Curtis controllers on eBay for industrial applications, and none of those are suitable for an RXV. They lack the VCL. Thought I should be very specific about this. You would be suprised by the number of people that have contacted me to ask if I could reprogram an industrial floor sweeper controller for their golf cart. LOL

If he gets the 350 Amp RXV controller, it should still be remapped for the larger tires. The maps in the 350A RXV controller are identical to the maps in the 235 Amp stock controller. The difference is, it's a lot harder to burn out the 350 Amp one. But if top efficiency is to be expected, remapping for 23" tires should be done. I always do this when reprogramming the 350 Amp RXV controllers to reduce motor heating as much as possible. Otherwise the motor can overheat and the temperature sensor reading will slow it down until it cools. The RXV was never designed to turn 23" tires, so we must help it to do so.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO