lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default MZJ400A Solenoid Hot

I have an 2002 PDS TXT 36 volt cart with a Alltrax XCT500 controller and MZJ400A solenoid with 2 GA wires. After taking a long ride with my wife yesterday I reached down and touched the lower silver part of the solenoid and it was very warm almost hot (I could leave my hand on it indefinitely). Is this normal, I just don't remember it being that warm after a ride.
chasenfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: MZJ400A Solenoid Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenfish16 View Post
I have an 2002 PDS TXT 36 volt cart with a Alltrax XCT500 controller and MZJ400A solenoid with 2 GA wires. After taking a long ride with my wife yesterday I reached down and touched the lower silver part of the solenoid and it was very warm almost hot (I could leave my hand on it indefinitely). Is this normal, I just don't remember it being that warm after a ride.
The coil of the MZJ400 has up to 1A flowing though it when energized, so it does get pretty warm during a long trip, especially if there are a lot of starts and stops. (Can draw up to 5A on closure)

However, to be on the safe side, make sure the large terminals and 2Ga cables are not getting hot and that it isn't staying energized after the pedal is up.

Note: The controller does energize the solenoid without the pedal being pressed. During regen braking and when the walkaway safety feature is triggered, for examples. But, with the cart sitting still, the solenoid ought click open a few moments after you lift your foot off the pedal.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB, I felt the 2GA wires and none of them where hot. I will make sure the solenoid is not staying energized with the pedal up like you suggested. I am guessing it is normal if you say they get warm with use, I guess I have never felt it before after a ride. I think I am just hyper sensitive after smoking my last DCX controller which I believe was caused by a bad motor. Thanks again for your knowledge.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenfish16 View Post
Thanks JohnnieB, I felt the 2GA wires and none of them where hot. I will make sure the solenoid is not staying energized with the pedal up like you suggested. I am guessing it is normal if you say they get warm with use, I guess I have never felt it before after a ride. I think I am just hyper sensitive after smoking my last DCX controller which I believe was caused by a bad motor. Thanks again for your knowledge.
Unlike the DCX, the armature (M-) and field outputs (F1/F2) on the XCT are short circuit protected and it doesn't release the magic smoke when the motor shorts.

I exploded my stock PDS motor and slid to a stop from about 33MPH with the DCX smoking, sparking and popping. Nice thing about the XCT, is the RPM limiting, so I can go down steep hills without over-revving the motor.

------------
I'm pretty sure your solenoid's temperature rise was normal, but it is always best to check to make sure it isn't staying energized when it shouldn't be.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #5
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just took it for a ride and I definitely hear it click a few moments after releasing the pedal. I tried it numerous times and I could hear click each time I released the pedal, so I think I am good. Also after a few mile ride the solenoid was only warm to the touch. I am glad to hear the XCT is short circuit protected. I am with you I drove my cart wide open down hills with the DCX so I am sure I over revved it numerous times. The amazing part is I drove it like that with the stock motor and DCX 400 for 7 years with turbo on before it gave up the ghost. I also had the stock cover over the controller (which I heard later was not good), so I am sure that didn't help anything either. Thanks again for your assistance.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO