lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: I think I have a motor brake issue on an RXV

You don't even have to press & hold the pedal to stop an rxv, if you just lightly tap it a few times, it'll do the rest. If you're going full speed & press & hold the pedal 20%, without letting up any, it doesnt "remove 20% of your speed", it keeps adding more & more braking effort until your stopped. Try it out when you get the cart going again.

Either way "motor brake" and "slowing down" dont go together, unless you mash the brake pedal to the floor (then its "drop anchor, do everything possible, get this stopped, including destroy motor brake in the process if needed"), and I wouldnt exactly describe "mash the brake pedal to the floor" as "riding the brake".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
it doesnt "remove 20% of your speed", it keeps adding more & more braking effort until your stopped. Try it out when you get the cart going again.
Are you saying that pressing the brake for a prolonged period of time is the same as tapping it once or twice? I am very confused.
Biaviian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #13
cgtech

Yamaha

I added more to previous post, but yes, in an rxv, it does about the same thing.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #14
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I added more to previous post, but yes, in an rxv, it does about the same thing.
I guess that explains why I didn't get the stopping power that I expected when I would use the peddle.

So please help me understand (let's leave the "ride the brake" term out). When she would drive it and corner hard (don't get me started) I assume she repeatedly pressed the brake to slow the cart. My assumption is that this action caused the problem. Does this sound correct?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #15
cgtech

Yamaha

Well, if you have huge tires, or high speed gears, that throws the controllers braking expectations all out the window. It has "if X happens, then Y should happen if I apply a certain amount of stopping power" as a expectation programmed into it. Big offroad tires or high speed gears throw the balance out the window, often causing the user to press even harder on the brakes, past the limit switch that interrupts the power that is holding the motor brake unlocked (think of motor brake as "parking brake" not "slows me down brake"). That damages the motor (parking) brake. Many rxv brake problems stem from the user not totally understanding how it's supposed to work.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is how I understand the RXV braking system:

There are no wheel brakes. All normal braking is done by the motor using regen braking. Regen braking occurs whenever the gas pedal is up. The service brake pedal is present and when pressed, the controller increases regen braking to slow the cart faster. There is no mechanical linkage from the brake pedal to anything. It speaks to the controller electrically. The motor is capable of regen braking all the way to 0 rpm and can and does hold the cart stopped under any conditions (IE. on a hill) until parking brake engagement.

The parking brake, also referred to as the hill brake sometimes, is an electrically operated mechanical brake attached to the end of the motor. It’s operation is automatic requiring no input by the driver. It is fail safe to the engaged position and requires electrical signal to release it. When operating normally is is either all(100%) on or off. It is controlled by the controller as is everything else on an RXV.

The cart drives like an EV and is noticeably different than a standard DC motored golf cart. After some practice you can do a lot of single pedal driving. The service brake pedal feels like power brakes on an automobile to me and is very effective at slowing the cart beyond normal regen. Usually I just have to tap it a time or two. If you have a digital meter on the cart you can see the voltage of the battery pack increase during pedal up “coasting” and a dramatic and rapid increase if the service brake is pressed. I have seen over 60v momentarily when using the brake. When bringing the cart to a stop, the motor holds the cart for a second or two and then the parking brake engages. You can hear it. There are NO detrimental effects to using the SERVICE brake under normal conditions.

Exception: The parking brake will engage while the cart is moving if you mash the service brake far enough, like in a panic/emergency stop. I think Bob Boyce has posted that this is about 60% of brake pedal travel. In my experience you won’t do this accidentally under normal operation. I have had to do this twice in 2 years (panic stop). The rear wheels (both) lock immediately. It was not a violent experience and I was at speed. I don’t know how many times you can do this before damage to the brake occurs but it is not designed to do this a lot.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #17
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Many rxv brake problems stem from the user not totally understanding how it's supposed to work.
It sounds that way from my searching. I should have told her about the difference with the braking system but it slipped my mind until I noticed the issue. I've only pressed the brake once so I'm not in-tune with how it performs. I'm excited to experiment once it is fixed. We got it about two weeks ago and have only used it to haul bee boxes. I use enjoy not having to use the brake and I am getting better at timing it.

Leave it to a newly-minuted permit driver to brake it.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #18
Biaviian
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the expiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
If you have a digital meter on the cart you can see the voltage of the battery pack increase during pedal up “coasting” and a dramatic and rapid increase if the service brake is pressed. I have seen over 60v momentarily when using the brake.
I installed a meter the other day.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO