lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
Hi3cho
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Loose Steering after replaced steering box

I have a 2003 TXT and the steering is extremely loose, the steering wheel moves a few inches each way before actually turning. It makes for a very loose ride that drifts all over the road especially at higher speeds. My cart is lifted and has big tires and I realize that effects the ride but have multiple friends with similar carts that don't have the same issue.

I changed the steering box and that has not seemed to have helped. The one I took off was not adjusted and the nut not even locked down so I figured this would help. Is there something in the column or steering wheel that could be worn or does the box need to be adjusted. Cart is aligned as I thought that was the issue originally but that also did not help. Thanks for the help
Hi3cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Loose Steering after replaced steering box

New or used steering box?
With wheels off ground,partner holding one wheel,try to move other wheel left to right. Have play or slop ,look under cart during test.to identify movement. If slop most likely bad tie rod ends.
Now move tire top to bottom. Slop noticed bad spindle or spindle bushing.( also called king pins)
With cart on ground move steering wheel left to right till movement noticed at wheels. Lot off steering wheel movement till wheels move, possible steering box lash adjustment. ( nut and screw that was loose on original).
Once worn parts are repalced. Proper alignment can be done. With 1/8” toe in.
Alighnment can’t be done with worn parts so cart most likely never aligned properly.
Nothing in steering colum that can cause these problems
HTH 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
merlin504
Not Yet Wild

Reviving this old thread because I am having similar issues. Ive removed the entire steering system and inspected everything and everything checks out except the steering column. I even cleaned out the steering box and inspected everything for damage/wear and found nothing. Then I repacked the box with grease with no improvement. My steering wheel is sound, not loose at all. However....

I took the dust cap off the steering box to expose the steering rack. If I want to turn left, with the steering wheel centered, I have to turn the steering wheel a few inches to the left before the steering rack moves. Once the steering rack is engaged, the steering rack moves perfectly with the steering wheel. The steering rack will also move back as I turn the steering wheel back to dead center until I get a few inches from having the steering wheel centered.

In summary, the steering wheel has a few inches of play to the left and a few inches to the right before I can get the steering rack to move. Once i get past those first few inches, everything moves as expected.

Does this mean my steering column needs to be replaced? Or is this normal?
merlin504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Is the intermediate shaft moving at the same time asnthe steering wheel? The intermediate shaft connects the steering rack to the column. Often times the play can be found at the intermediate shaft. Its a 2 piece shaft and gets worn over time.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
merlin504
Not Yet Wild

I don’t know if mine has an intermediate shaft. I have a 1990 Marathon
Old 08-15-2021, 10:26 PM   #6
Scott quail
Gone Wild

On. Not on a 90 marathon. Sorry.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:37 PM   #7
merlin504
Not Yet Wild

Sorry. I should have clarified that in my first comment. At this point I can only assume the steering column needs to be replaced/rebuilt
Old 08-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #8
Scott quail
Gone Wild

How are your tie rod ends? Turn the steering wheel and see whats moving and whats not moving. The older ones ive worked on have all had a little play. Ive assumed it is wear in the steering box. I also see alot of bad tie rod ends. Usually everything moves and you can see if the tie rod ends are moving at all before the spindle moves. Just something to check also assuming you havent already. Have a good one.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #9
merlin504
Not Yet Wild

I just replaced them, before that, the cart was going all over the road, like I was driving a pirate ship hahah The steering is tight, i just find it weird that I have to turn the steering wheel at least 2-3 inches before anything in the steering gear box moves. This leads me to to believe its something in the steering column.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Keep in mind I’m not familiar with that year cart but.

Steering column connects directly to steering box, correct? If so. Nothing in steering column can really cause that much play.

Worn steering box( some steering box’s have a preload screw that can be tightened to reduce lash between gears)
Or you have worn steering components.

Be sure when checking for loose front end parts cart is sitting under it’s own weight as if you were driving it.

hold front wheel while someone rocks, turn s steering wheel back and forth.
This should show where worn parts/ slop in steering is.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO